F1

by Alternative 6 Replies latest social physical

• Alternative
    Alternative

I don't know now where I formed this question before,
    so I start a new topic.

Formula 1. Great European sport.

Now lets see who are the real experts.
    No need waiting until the end of the season.
    I think Michael Schumacher in his Ferarri will be the champion.
    Does any one agree. Or disagree as most here do that for a living.

Now lets see who are the real experts.
    No need waiting until the end of the season.
    I think Michael Schumacher in his Ferarri will be the champion.
    Does any one agree. Or disagree as most here do that for a living.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Alternative,

I think this should be posted on the relevant board as it is a bit off topic. However, I used to dash home after the Sunday morning Watchtower study to watch F1. No after-meeting FS for me. Those were the days of Murray Walker and James Hunt as commentators.

These days I get up at 6:30 am on Sundays to watch F1 when it is raced in Europe. However, it is not just a European Sport, since races are run in Canada, the US and Brazil as well as the far east and Australia...OK, so all the the teams are European with some Japanese engines (which can be said about the design of the majority of open-wheel race cars including CART and Indy.)

Michael S will win the championship, not that I'm a fan of his. I don't think David Coulthard has a chance now. Brother Ralf could have a real chance next year if the Williams team continues to improve in the way it has this season.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• philo
    philo

Alternative, I disagree with you utterly. At least, when you say something, I'll disagree if I can.

I'm waiting.

I was late for a sunday meeting once, to watch more of the live coverage of a grand prix, and saw Senna die. I don't know what to say about it, I was speechless then, and I am now.

philo

• messenger
    messenger

I heard he was a witness and was dating one of the Williams sisters, they say fi they get married Prince will be their best man. Micheal Jackson will be the ring bearer with Larry Graham doing the ceremony. That is just what i heard anyway........

• Eric
    Eric

Alternative,

Do I qualify as an expert since I can at least spell Ferrari?

• Alternative
    Alternative

Great. Thanks for your comments.
    Better than knocking JW's all the time.

Sorry about Ferrari, not into italian!
    I'm better with German names. BMW & VW are easy.
    Mercedes-Benz, hows that? Or Porsche? The "e" is sounded
    not as most English speakers say Porsh!!

I'd like to see Mercedes win as I drive one.
    But to me I don't really mind who does.

Has Micha lost the touch?
    Heinz-Harald has, just as Hill did before.
    If they lose it, they should give in.
    They are paid good money for nothing.

I often don't get to see the race. Mostly working.
    I get them to put the TV on at work for the race
    then they send me out to do my job just before it starts
    and then as last time they called me back again, just as it ended.
    I saw nothing and forgot to record it.

Bad news when work gets in the way of ones sport.

• Eric
    Eric

Alternative,

Has Mika lost it? Maybe. He's had some awful luck with car failures this year, with traction control letting him down on the grid twice, and a brake failure caused by a collapsed cooling duct. On the other hand he has spent a couple of races driving around not doing much of anything, and then suddenly slamming in some fast laps when attrition ahead of him put a chance for points in his lap. That, to me, is a sign of a driver who is no longer fully committed.

But if you were Ron Dennis, who would you place in Mika's seat? There is one proven top talent who may possibly become available, Jacques Villeneuve, but he's invested at BAR Honda (for good or for bad, it seems) and if he bolts, I suspect Frank Williams would swallow Montoya's contract in an instant to have JV back. Hakkinen knows McLaren's operation inside and out, and might be convinced to stay as a mentor to young fellow Finn Kimmi Raikonnen. (sp?)

I was never a big fan of Damon Hill, but yes he stayed at least one season too long. Looking back further, I was a huge fan of Nelson Piquet, a three time World Champion who also clung to his sport past his prime. Piquet's last season was an embarrassment as he drove to his old potential only when it looked like conditions and luck were putting a good result in his lap.

As to your original post on this topic, - Yes, I believe that Schuey is well set to deliver a Championship for Ferrari. In doing so he will eclipse Prost's record for most F1 wins. BUT - he is doing so in an era of diminished competition and will always be remembered for his sanction in 1997 for his utterly unsportmanlike behavior.

Eric

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit