dogs detect cancer???

by czarofmischief 7 Replies latest social current

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I first read about this in News of the Weird. Maybe a breakthrough when and where we least expected it?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133381,00.html

CZAR

• jwbot
    jwbot
    It has long been suspected that man's best friend has a special ability to sense when something is wrong with us.

I do not doubt this for a second. Having a dog, it is quite obvious to me that dogs are very in tune with our mental and physical health. When I am sick or depressed, I notice differences in my dogs behavior. She is normally a very cuddly dog anyway, but if I am sick or I am down, she calms down and becomes more gentle...and even more cuddly.

Watching "Animal miracles" on Animal Planet only solidifies this. It seems that animals, especially dogs can sense these things.

When you think about it at an evolutionary way...dogs are mankinds best friend for a reason...they have evolved next to us for who knows how long!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Taken as a group, they correctly selected the right urine on 22 out of 54 occasions, giving an average success rate of 41 percent.

Sounds like tossing a coin in the air, these dogs were only correct 41 percent of the time. And I do wonder if someone with bladder cancer would give off a different smell of urine, combined with the drugs used to treat the cancer, the patient had, perhaps the dogs were just reacting to such and not the cancer itself, if they were reacting to much of anything.

Cassi, need to be more optimistic, I know

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Well, they're pretty good at detecting drugs, bombs, etc. Seems logical they could detect cancer as well.

• Panda
    Panda

I know my dogs are good at psychology. They stare me down when they want treats. Especially around the BBQ grill outside! I think they try to hynotize me by moving their eyebrows up and down. Uncanny, don't you think?

• jwbot
    jwbot

Haha Panda. Ever notice how cute they look when they are pretending to starve? I think thats an evolutionary thing too.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I got a doggie today. From the ASPCA. She is 9 years old and her former owner was sent to a nursing home. I was looking for a particular dog for the last 14 months. Didn't have anything specific in mind, but knew I would know it when I saw it. Or it would pick *me*. There she was. The lady asked if I wanted to see any other dogs, I said "Nope, this is the one for me" and off we went. I gave her a nice bath today and she is happily ensconced at my feet as I type this. Cute little schnauzerish lookin doggie. They said at the shelter that she wouldn't eat for several days after her owner had to go to the nursing home! Awwwww.... I just hope she knows that her former owner will be okay.

I love that pic of your dog, JWBot.. beautiful!

Country Girl

• jwbot
    jwbot

Thanks Country girl! Post pictures of your new family member soon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit