Are Jehovah?s witnesses and football fans the same?

by sleepy 3 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Are Jehovah?s witnesses and football fans the same?
    This does have something to do with JW?s just bear with me.
    Something that has always perplexed me are football fans and their loyalty to a particular club.
    Back in the olden days a football club was made up of local players, so local people would support their team, out of pride for their local team.
    Nowadays-big clubs get players from anywhere. Take Manchester untied one of the biggest clubs in Britain; players come from all over the world. Players are bought and sold regularly.
    So what exactly are the fans supporting?
    What exactly is Manchester untied? The players? Well they can come from anywhere, you could for arguments sake sack all the players and get new ones and they would still be Manchester untied.
    The same goes for managers, they come and go.
    Is it the stadium? Well no, you could knock down the stadium and build a new one, maybe even in a slightly different place and it would still be Manchester untied.
    Is it the supporters?
    Well maybe this is closer to the truth. Maybe Manchester united is really just a concept in a supporters mind.
    Whichever players or managers they have doesn?t matter that much. It is the concept that whoever plays under the banner Manchester united is in their minds the best team.

Now think of Jehovahs witness and their loyalty to that religion.
    They believe they have the true religion, they in effect support that religion.
    Exchange football players for beliefs. Over the years various beliefs have come and gone, yet some how it is still the true religion.
    Leaders have changed just like managers of a football club, the leaders believe and teach different things than the founders of the religion just as managers have different tactics.
    What hasn?t changed is the witnesses belief that they have the best religion.
    The idea of the best or true religion just exists as a concept in their minds ,
    It is the true religion not because of what they believe but because it?s the one they follow.
    Beliefs can come and go to some degree yet they still feel it is the true religion.
    Okay some will leave when they really can?t stomach another belief change and see through the bull, just like some football fans will get annoyed and abandon their chosen club in response at their managers or players bad decisions.

So maybe football fans and Jehovah?s witness are doing the basic same thing. Maybe the same areas of the brain that encourage loyalty to football clubs in some people effects others in different ways and encourages them to show loyalty to a religious concept, and other to something else.
    What do you think?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Sleepy, good question BTW.

I attended dozens of conventions in umpteen soccer stadiums during my youth.

Then, one bright and sunny day, a wayward and rebellious JW took me along to see a REAL FOOTBALL MATCH.

Of course, I drew comparisons before the game started. Then when the teams came out, the roar of the crowd was quite beyond anything that I had heard at an assembly.

The game was physical and incredibly gritty and bone-crunching. I was stood near the goal and watched the ball curling in from a corner kick. I expected one of the forwards to rise gracefully and nod the ball into the net. I was waiting for a sort of "swooshing" noise as the ball poofed gently off of his head.

The forward did indeed get his head to the ball. The noise of contact was a distinct thump and it seemed that the guy had actually headed a bowling ball so great was the noise.

Within a few minutes I realised that the cameraderie between supporters of the same team was far more pleasant and inspiring than the wishy-wash old assembly gluck that passes for goodwill amongst the brothers.

Yeah..go see Man United any day over an asemmbly.

Or even Scunthorpe.

Psst. That really is how you spell it.

Englishman

• justhuman
    justhuman

No they are not Englishman.

Football it is much more interesting from JW's meetings

Football is the most exiting game in the universe

The final between Portugal and Hellas was broadcasted over to 2 billion people in the world(do you recall such number to listen to a puplic talk?)

There was a great celebration all over my country when the Hellenic boys lift the European Cup. All of us(and I mean ALL the Greeks all over the world from U.S to Australia 22 millions) we were out drinking and celebrating until the early morning hours, waving our flag, singing and dancing the Greek Zorpa.

So there is no event in WT world that can push millions to act like that!!!

So I'm glad that I got out from them and I was lucky to celebrate along with all the Greeks the way that we ONLY know how to celebrate.

HELLAS

• Englishman
    Englishman

I'm pleased for you, Hellas.

I've always found Greek people to be great fun and very hospitable too. Last summer we went to Corfu and had a great time.

You should hear my rendition of "Play bouzouki".

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit