Even in the darkest hours

by heyfea 4 Replies latest jw friends

• heyfea
    heyfea

Hi everyone,

I've recently found out that a JW friend of mine has cancer. She knows I don't go to the meetings anymore, but she's cool about it. I wanted to speak to her, to let her know how concerned I am, that to me she still my friend and that I want to help in any way I can. But, since she was not home, I tried to call her parents home to see if she was there. Well, her father answered. He is an elder. I must say that he sounded EXTREMELY depressed and sad. He barely wanted to speak, but somehow made an effort and told me that with Jehovah's strengh, his family is going thru this hard time the best they can. I encouraged him not to loose hope, that God gives everyone the strengh to go thru life's problems, etc.

Now, I have not spoken to this family for years. Do you know what this man asked me? He asked me, not how am I doing,or how's my family is doing , instead he asked: Are you going to the meetings?

When I told him that I am not going to the meetings, he said I should read Deuteronomy 30: 15-20 , Isaiah 55: 6 and Ezekiel 33: 11.

I cannot comprehend for the love of God, how can someone who's going thru so much pain be so insensitive. In other words, he said: I will be destroyed. Period. Nice way to make me want to come back!!!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Hey Hey! :)

Please remember that death is probably something very strong on his mind. People tend to get even more spiritually minded in that situation. He probably takes it as 'remaining faithful and setting a witness'. I'm sure it wasnt his deliberate intention to be insensitive. I'm also pretty sure he did appreciate your call.

• heyfea
    heyfea

Yes, I know what you mean, but still....I felt rejected, it kind of sounded like what he was saying was totally aside from his misfortune. Anyways, his daughter is been well after her breast removal. According to my mother who spoke to her in the last small convention, she is not in danger for now.

• teejay
    teejay

The trick with talking with JWs ? a trick that far too many ex-JWs never learn ? is to simply remember how *we* were, what *we* thought, how *we* spoke when we were Dubs.

JWs have their own language, their own peculiar words and expressions ? everybody knows that. But they also have their own peculiar mindset. Their own outlook. Way of thinking. Nobody should know that better than an ex-JW, but it amazes me when ex-JWs are shocked and surprised when they hear JWs say what JWs always say.

That said, sorry that you felt rejected, heyfea. Wish JWs were more humane, like regular people, but we ARE talking about JWs... so who am I kiddin'?

• SAHS
    SAHS
    . . . JWs say what JWs always say.

This is because the religion of the Watchtower is missing something fundamental. Something that, according to Jesus, is most important. I?ll give you a hint what that is:

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit