I just went to a "wordly" funeral/memorial service.

by William Penwell 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

As my topic stated, I just came back from a co-worker memorial service that was not a witness. The minister did get into the religious stuff a bit but that was expected. I just respectfully listened. Then they had different ones stand up and pay tribute to the individual and the floor was open to anyone else that wanted to say something. This is good although it dragged the service out a bit. I think all together it was close to an hour.I like the idea that friends can say something on behalf of the deceased unlike dub funerals where it is all a big sales pitch for the religion.

Now the only thing I had trouble with is on the handout it says that "god had called this person to heaven" and "that he only takes the best". Not meaning to offend anyone here but what a load of garbage. So god in his infinite wisdom leaves the bad ones here on earth?  Also what type of a loving god kills someone with an awful disease just because he has called them to heaven? Just another reason why I do not believe in a god. 

• Simon
    Simon

It's nicer that they focus more on the deceased person - JW funerals are nearly always a chance to sell the religion and hardly a mention for the person and their life or achievements. Still disappointing that they try and push religion at all but for some it is comforting (the opium of the people).

I've been to funerals where everyone has been laughing because of the stories and anecdotes about the character who's departed. That's surely the way to be sent off - with your friends and relatives remembering the best about you and what you were like.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Now the only thing I had trouble with is on the handout it says that "god had called this person to heaven" and "that he only takes the best"

I know what you mean, about 15 years ago a mini schoolbus was hit when a tree fell on top killing three 9-10 year old girls, one of those girls and her family lived across the street from my mother, although i didn't know the family, but I met the mother later on, it was covered by TV and news media.  If you're from NYC you would be familiar with the name Floyd Flake, although he's a reverend he's also heavily into local politics. The funeral was covered by TV media and one thing I've never forgot that he said which to this day contributes to why I can't get attached to any religion is that he said " I guess God needed three little angels" and of course the folks in the audience of the Baptist church just carried on like they do when the preacher makes a point in the sermon.  I am fully aware of the scripture that says God works in mysterious ways but I'll be damned if anyone from any religion will convince me that the Lord dropped that tree on that school bus with three innocent children in it because heaven needed three more angels.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I am fully aware of the scripture that says God works in mysterious ways but I'll be damned if anyone from any religion will convince me that the Lord dropped that tree on that school bus with three innocent children in it because heaven needed three more angels.

Also can you imagine the horror those poor little girls may have experienced just before they died? Then they say it is a loving god. I mean if an all powerful god wanted to call them to heaven at least he could have taken them peacefully in their sleep.

I've been to funerals where everyone has been laughing because of the stories and anecdotes about the character who's departed. That's surely the way to be sent off - with your friends and relatives remembering the best about you and what you were like.

Yes there was a few times where they had the people in attendance laughing. If you knew the diseased you would know she was very out going and enjoyed a good laugh.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Shirley, I'm a Christian and I totally agree with you. There is no reason for any preacher to say that. For some reason people find that comment comforting, I find it infuriating and fortunately have never heard it in my church. 
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
     "god had called this person to heaven" and "that he only takes the best"

So where are all the immortal assholes? 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit