Need advice!

by Seeking Knowledge 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Howdy everyone, I must start by saying "thank you"for posting all this information on the JW way of life in here, I appreciate everything that you guys are putting out there, both for your own use and to help others like me. I've posted a couple times, but mostly I'm here to learn, but now it's time for me to ask questions!

I am not a JW, I was involved with one for several years, and we have a son. Never married, (and I have to say thank God for that). It was not until our relationship was over and he was married (within 6 months) that I learned what an idiot I was for so long. Ok, maybe that's harsh, but I didn't realize what I was in for until after my heart was broken. Cheesy yes, but true. He was not "practicing" while with me, at least not that I was aware of at the time, and it wasn't until after our son was born that his guilt kicked in big time and he went & got himself a nice JW wife, and pleased his parents, and whatever group of people he sits with several times a week. I don't begrudge him his beliefs, but now he's really shown me what it's all about. Should have paid attention to the signs before huh??

We have shared custody of our son, when I get him home after visiting with his dad, he tells me that dad says he can't pray, that birthdays are bad, etc. Ok, I can handle this to a point, and but I'm wondering if any of you out there have had similar problems? And what did you do? My son is only 3..its not like he's old enuff to make these decisions for himself (yet) and before the crazy JW came back out of my ex, we talked about exposing our son to both religions (I'm protestant) and letting him come up with his own decision when he's old enuff. Naive yes, I realize that now! I know he won't do this, and there is a court battle, again in my future. I do not plan to allow my son to be exposed anymore than he is now, but I need some advise on how to approach his father (who rarely speaks to me and won't do it without the new wifey present) on the subject, let him know I won't allow it. I should include the fact that I've tried, so many times since we broke up, to talk to him about things that are important, he shrugs me off and does what he wants anyway. We've been to court, he's been ordered to do certain things (and not do certain things) and he still does what he wants. I know talking to him and trying to reason are wasting my time, but my attorney says that's the route I have to take for now. In the meantime all I can do is express to my son that his dad has different beliefs and that it's ok to pray, etc. I just don't want my son to be a stark raving lunatic before I can rectify the situation. I should mention that for 3 weeks now I've asked for time with him (the idiot) to discuss this, and he keeps putting me off. Says he won't talk to me without his wife present, and that's not a good idea, she tends to answer for him, and that makes me crazy!

Any suggestions?? He's pretty smart, but his dad diciplines with fear you know and so knowing what I know now reading all these posts he's already afraid of making his dad mad.

thanks for listening!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi SK,

I really wonder if your ex was really a JW when you were together. Perhaps he was baptized later, or he was disfellowshipped and later reinstated -- maybe you don't know.

Whatever the case, I guess you have to ask for and follow legal advice. IMHO if an explicit judgement was issued on some of these things (like religious teaching), he must comply or you have to get a certified report that he does not, then go back to the judge.

I'm sure you'll get good suggestions by many on this board.

Take care.

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Thanks for that!

We do have a custody order and yes, he's not abiding by most of it, my next recourse is court and that's where we are heading. I just need help in what to do with my kid in the meantime! I do not tell him that his dad's religion is wrong, but that he has different beliefs. It's very hard to take the high road!

He was born & raised a JW, his parents would never have anything to do with me, never met his friends, always kept at arms length when I asked questions. I chalked it up to his "way" but realize now what was really happening. I believe he was rebelling against the system if you will, and I was the perfect excuse. His parents wouldn't talk to him for a very long time, but once they did, they obviously got him back. Not the person I thought he was, and well, live & learn..only now we have a son so I'm a little more open eye'd to everything, where he is a self centered child determined to win no matter the cost!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sounds like if he's ignoring court ordered things, he's in contempt of court...I'd just talk to my attorney about it. The judge will NOT be happy if he's ignoring what's been court ordered, although you didn't specify what he was ignoring.....but if that's what he's doing, the judge will probably be inclined to accommodate YOU and your child's needs....

BTW, the child's welfare, both physical AND mental/emotional are at stake if he's receiving indoctrination into this religion at such an early age.....a psychologist might be in order for the child, in order to prove how BAD his father's religious instructions are for his mental well-being.

Good luck!

Frannie B

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Hi Frannie!

The religion thing for one is what he's not abiding by, paying child support (altho the state is after him, but he's not paying in the meantime even tho the judge told him to) and little things like not having our son call his wife "mom" and things like that. He's always trying to fight whatever I talk to him about. It's exhausting. I've tried to let things go, but it's very hard! If I say "don't do this" he runs right out & does it. Such a child!

Thanks for the advise. I have discussed a psychologist with my attorney, we're headed for mediation next since he won't talk to me. Just trying to keep my boy sane until we get there!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    The religion thing for one is what he's not abiding by, paying child support (altho the state is after him, but he's not paying in the meantime even tho the judge told him to) and little things like not having our son call his wife "mom" and things like that. He's always trying to fight whatever I talk to him about. It's exhausting. I've tried to let things go, but it's very hard! If I say "don't do this" he runs right out & does it. Such a child!

If it goes to court, the judge will NOT be happy with him and will definitely put more restrictions on his visitation...just wait and see....meantime, I know it's a struggle trying to keep the little one mentally balanced while he's trying to please his Dad....that's why he needs counseling (good grief! at 3 yrs of age!!!)....from an unbiased person that he will probably listen to...but his Dad will just negate the positive input from the counselor (Jdubs eschew psychology)....maybe child protective services can be brought into the picture because of the way his Dad and fam are trying to brainwash the tyke, eh? They would provide someone for "supervised visitation" so his Dad couldn't brainwash him that way.

Frannie B

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

It really is sad that I have to think about counseling at this young age. But I will do whatever it takes to make sure he comes out ok. He's the innocent one, wish his dad would think about that instead of himself first. I know that's a joke tho. I will focus on my son, he deserves not to be tormented by an adult he trusts and who should know better. Pathetic really!

I'll do my best! Thanks for the advice, wish I didn't need it!

What does not kill us will only make us stronger right?

• Flash
    Flash
    We've been to court, he's been ordered to do certain things (and not do certain things) and he still does what he wants. I know talking to him and trying to reason are wasting my time, but my attorney says that's the route I have to take for now.

Get another Attorney and take your son's father back to court! Make him respect the Court decision and document EVERYTHING!

• Teela
    Teela

I suggestion I would make is "Daddy and i have different rules at his home there are some rules and at my house some rules are different, here we have birthdays and xmas"

Just trying to help

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit