Coming Full Circle-Conducted full Methodist Sunday Service yesterday.....

by Thechickennest 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Two years ago my wife I resigned from the WT. My wife was raised by the borg. I was a baptized and confirmed Methodist until I was 18 and assimulated by the borg. Now we are both happy camper Methodists. Yesterday, (Sunday) the Pastor called me at 8:00 A.M. to say "she was sick.....and ask me if I would do the service today?" I was stunned at first. Then I thought, finally here is a use for 20 plus years of theocratic school! I conducted a full hour program by the seat of my pants and gave the sermon from the pastor's outline. Everyone in the church came to me afterwards to say what a wonderful job I did! Most of them have no clue I am a trained public speaker by JW's. I was more at ease with this group than I ever was with the witnesses or the houseolders! It felt good to realize that I can use something once in awhile that I learned in all those wasted years! It really felt good to come full circle and be back in a non-cult arena. I finally felt free from the wicked WT teachings.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

"Mr. Christendom... Givin' sermons.." (in SNL 'copyguy' voice)

Just kidding ya, that's a good feeling isn't it? As far as I'm concerned any JW activity that can be disidentified from the JWs would be a good step, that's why I think parodying the lyrics of the Kingdom Melodies would prove quite valuable as there is obviously an emotional aspect there, but if you can open up that memory with humor then there is the potential for big time catharsis.

Imagine... What if there is a movement to subvert the WTS with humor? You can just get to the point where you can't take it seriously, rather than taking it seriously and opposing it. "I have a dream..."

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    here is a use for 20 plus years of theocratic school

Sometimes we might wonder about all "the wasted years" but there were some skills we learned as dubs that we can put to good use now that we're borg-free.

Good on yer, Chicken! Chicken no longer, eh??!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Well done!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's interesting to see that ex-dubs have found christian fellowship in many different denominations/groups.

The Borg always insisted the churches should be lumped together as one group - perhaps there was an element of truth in that, eh - they all being of one religion, christian.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    perhaps there was an element of truth in that, eh - they all being of one religion, christian.

Exactly! A friend of mine put it this way: "Denominations are just a way to group people together as to 'how' they believe in worshiping Christ. But all churches are unified in belief that Christ is the center of all worship.

• bebu
    bebu

Great story!

Maybe you could run a Thursday night talks meeting for Methodists and get them all up to speed with... uh..

Maybe not...

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit