How many true believers do you know?

by MerryMagdalene 6 Replies latest jw friends

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Jesus words as recorded in Mark 16:16-18 identify those who hear the "good news" and become believers in this way: "By the use of my name they will expel demons, they will speak with tongues, and with their hands they will pick up serpents, and if they drink anything deadly it will not hurt them at all. They will lay their hands on sick persons, and these will become well."

I know a lot of people who claim to be Christians and true believers, but I don't think I'll ask any of them to prove it by the above criteria. That would just be too cruel.

• gumby
    gumby
    but I don't think I'll ask any of them to prove it by the above criteria. That would just be too cruel.

They couldn't prove it by the above criteria even if they tried.

Gumby

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i wish i could find a "true believer' to cast this fat demon outa me.. the skinny me wants OUT dammit!

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Jesus words as recorded in Mark 16:16-18 identify those who hear the "good news" and become believers in this way: "By the use of my name they will expel demons, they will speak with tongues, and with their hands they will pick up serpents, and if they drink anything deadly it will not hurt them at all. They will lay their hands on sick persons, and these will become well."

I think I read that those words appear in some manuscripts from which the book of Mark is translated, but not others. The authenticity is questionable at best.

I'm not a true believer, but I know some. They are former JW's who helped me when I made my exit. Their faith in Jesus may not literally include the ideas from the verses above, but is based on what they believe to be true. I do not begrudge them their belief, nor do they attempt to push any such belief on me.

• Terry
    Terry

For me, a TRUE BELIEVER is just a person who refuses to admit they are ever wrong!

• Carmel
    Carmel

well by your literal take on scripture I have to say I know no one who qualifies. on the other hand, taken symbolically, I have a plethora of aquaintences that I consider true believers, none of which meet Terry's bafoonic definition.

carmel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Carmel:

Some words of sense at last!

ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit