Don't know if this is the right area to post this or not, but...
Does anyone know what happened in 1944 that caused the Society to make the following "refinements" to their legal "arrangement," described in the March 15, 1990 Watchtower as follows:
For years, the visible Governing Body came to be identified with the seven-member board of directors of this corporation....The Society's seven directors were faithful Christians. But their role in a legal corporation might have suggested that they owed their positions on the Governing Body to their being elected by legal members of the Watchtower Society. Furthermore, by law such membership and its voting privileges were originally granted only to certain ones who made contributions to the Society. This arrangement needed to be changed. This was done at the annual meeting of the Pennsylvania corporation of the Watchtower Society held on October 2, 1944....Reporting on this improvement, The Watchtower of November 1, 1944, stated: "Money, as represented in financial contributions, should have no determining voice, should in fact have nothing to do with the filling of the governing body...." [however] Until 1971 those of the Governing Body were still identified with the seven members of the board of directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania."
And what happened in 1990 that made that made them openly address this issue again in the pages of the Watchtower?