Sims

by Insomniac 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Anybody else here play Sims? If so, perhaps you'll understand exactly what's happened here:

My boyfriend has given me the use of a computer at his house, so I don't get bored and fidgety when I'm visiting him there. On this computer, among other things, he's installed The Sims, with the first three expansion packs. I go through phases where I play it quite a lot, and several of my characters have been in existence for about two years.

Well, the computer is sick and needs repairs- I'm not sure exactly what, but it will involve reloading the entire system from scratch. So, all of my Sims are gone! Anastasia Beaverhausen, Burke and Sparkle Monkeybutt, Lucia Athame, Fred Douglass, Margaret Sanger and Kara Harlotte are all gone forever.

I'll never know if Burke and Sparkle ever learned to hold down jobs for more than 3 days. Did Anastasia find true love? Was Lucia the sultry Wiccan vixen ever able to get Fred the military man to drop his defenses and finally declare his love for her? Did Lulabelle White ever figure out if it was men or women she was into? Will Margaret ever let Kara out of the tiny cubicle she's imprisoned her in? Dang it, we'll never know. I realize it's just a silly game, but my mellow has been truly harshed by this turn of events.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I have only played it on XboX. It was my favorite game! I dont have it anymore I had Bustin out, and i liked it alot..

btw, I love the new avatar.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I played it for a while but my Sims had crappy jobs, spent all their free time watching TV and never seemed to have time to clean up after themselves. It was too much like real life to be fun for long.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Funkyderek- Actually, I knew the cheat code to give them unlimited money, so they really didn't need to worry about the jobs. And they had maids and gardeners, so lots of free time. The code is CTR/Alt/Shift/C- press all simultaneously. Then type rosebud and hit enter. Presto, $1,000. Do it till your fingers fall off.

The new avatar, btw, is a pic of the same actress as the old avatar's, except now she's got some clothes on, cuz it's September and starting to get chilly.

• Snowcrash
    Snowcrash

I used to play the sims. Actually, there's another way to get money without having to type rosebud over and over. After typing rosebud put ";!;!;!" over and over again and you'd get more than $1,000. I played the Sims and had the Superstar expansion, but I got bored. After hearing about all this wackiness on The Sims Online, I started playing that. God, that was a surreal experience. Online cathouses and mafia rings... Wil Wright's vision went completely to hell. The Sims Online was so boring that people needed to make their own games, so they made it like a toned down Grand Theft Auto. It was the first video game that I actually fell asleep while playing.

• Swan
    Swan

I love this game!

I am counting the days till the release of The Sims 2 (next Tuesday) and have already purchased my copy in advance.

Typically all of the data for your sims are stored in the UserData folders. What you need to do is use Windows Explorer to copy these folders to a CD or some other backup media. Then after you reinstall the Sims and its expansion packs, replace the UserData folders in the reinstalled game with the ones you saved to disc.

The folders you need to save are typically in the following paths (assuming that you did the normal default install). You may also need to change the drive letter if it is not on your C: drive.

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData2

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData3

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData4

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData5

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData6

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData7

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData8

Each UserData folder holds one neighborhood. The most important to save is the UserData folder (without a 1) because it has a few extras that you will need and typically neighborhood 1 is the one most people play in (although I have 4 neighborhoods).

Also, if you have any special skins, floors, walls, etc that you have downloaded from an online site, you should backup this folder as well:

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\GameData

Once you have reinstalled, replace the GameData folder with your backed up folder and all of your custom wallpapers, floors, etc. should appear.

I hope this helps.

Tammy :-)

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Swan, thank you so much!!! I'm not very knowledgable about computers, so I really appreciate this advice, and will give it a shot.

• pamkw
    pamkw

I love the sims. All my best people are on my computer in Kansas. One of the first things I did when I got this computer is load sims on it. I have all the expansions except hot date ( which is my favorite), the disk for hot date had some kind of mistake on it. so I have to get a new one. Sims 2 is coming out on Sept 17. I can't wait. I have spent hours playing that game. And I have also had to delete everything on my computer before and start over. It is such a pain.

Sims rule!

Pam

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I keep hearing about this game and so want to get it, but I need another addiction like I need a hole in my head.

Kate (who is resisting the urge, so knock it off people!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit