ATHENS 2004 OLYMPICS and U.S media

by justhuman 8 Replies latest jw friends

• justhuman
    justhuman

In 1998 the International Olympic Commitee gave to Greece the honour to organize the 2004 Olympics. Since that date and just before the opening of the Olympic games U.S and U.K media were acting with paranoia against Greece(Hellas). Every bitter word you can imagine were against my country.

That they were going to be the worst Olympic games, with terrorist attacks, very badly organized, even they were saying that in the end the 2004 Olympics will go back to Sydney because Athens wasn't going to be ready. All this 6 years we didn't said anything. We just waited untill the end of the Games to give the right answer with our works.

All the world said that Athens 2004 Olympics were the best. That a small counrty like Helllas can make miracles. But we are happy to see that the U.S media like CNN, Washington Post N.Y.Times, BBC and others came to ask for appologies and we accept their sorry. One article said Sygnomi(sorry) Hellas. For us the Greek people is more than enough because we know how to forgive. It is in our nature.

It is in our nature because this nature have been the same for the past 4000 years. A really heavy heritage that we Greeks carry. We have fight with countries and armies much bigger than we are. Like the Persians that they were numbered almost a million army 2600 years ago, and Greece had just 150.000 against that mighty army. But we at the battle of Marathon we were the winners.

We have gave to mankind the principle of Democracy 2500 years before, art, music, theatre, philosophy, mathematics, poetry. We were very well aware of our history and how we Greeks are proud of it. Besides we were the ones who invented the Olympic games 2700 ago, and we knew very well that for us there was only one way...TO MAKE THE BEST OLYMPICS EVER, and we have done it.

The authors of CNN and the rest media the have forget something: That when we were writting history their ancestors were hanging from the trees!!!

We are the ones that have the Olympic flame and we can make it shine brighter. That Flame has travel ALL over the world with the message of brotherhood and friendship...Pass the flame unite the world...were the lyrics of the song that was travelling with the flame.

With the end of the Olympics we knew that we have done it. We knew that we were going to be the winners of this games knowing that our herritage will pass for the next generations to come.

• Valis
    Valis

I dunno about media apologies, but I thouroughly enjoyed the Olympics and was glad to see no terrorist attacks, well besides the Irish Grand Prix Priest...*LOL*...I prolly stayed up too late several nights watching as well.. Great all round though...except I thought the speed walking was a little goofy...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It was a splendid Olympics. I am sad its over because I will remember it all my life and I imagine it won't be back in Greece for another 100 years. But seeing the marathon run in the original route and the pride expressed and the beautiful wreaths placed on ppl's crowns, the amazing competitions (I was hooked on the table tennis myself, along with the gymnastics and the other popular sports -- except beach volleyball which got old fast), there was so much that was unique and memorable and terrific. I hope you had a chance to see them in person or at least be touched by it personally in some way.

The only thing I was let down a little was the Closing Ceremonies. It just ended up being a big concert. I was hoping for lots of spectacular dazzling stuff once the flame was extinguished, but that didn't seem to happen. (Nothing important, tho)

• gumby
    gumby

Valatenighter, I too stayed up way past my bedtime many a night to see the Nephilims compete. All the good stuff was on at my bedtime I was sad when it ended.

Gumbathon

• Valis
    Valis

When I got tired of the reruns I switched over to Telemundo...nothing like the Olympics and hot latino chicks on TV..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Much of the media, at least in the US and UK, have gone from reporting the news to speculating about what is going to happen. The fact the Olympics came off without a hitch is not something they would want to report. When there was bad news such as poor calls by the judges it was all over the media.

There was once a newspaper editor who made the statement, "when a plane lands normally at the airport it is not news." The Athens Olympics proceeded normally, thus not news. Not saying that is right, it isn't, but that is the way it is.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, it was a great Olympics - the 4x100m relay was esp. enjoyable

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Those were some great olympics but sadly, us Americans will never know. The American TV network that broadcasts this would rather show lame sports.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was very disappointed with the American television coverage. It was on until Midnight every night and the events I was interested in were usually in the after 11:30 time slot, so I missed them. I just can't stay awake that late.

I finally discovered the Canadian channel and they did a great job, and showed gymnastics in order and didn't try to keep you hanging until Midnight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit