woo hoo....JW Mom is coming to my wedding!

by AuSet 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AuSet
    AuSet

....my whacked out JW hardliner Mom just informed me this morning that she and my entire JW family will be coming to my wedding on Oct. 1st. This has come totally out of the blue as previous to today she did not give any indication of caring one way or the other whether I got married or not, and had said to me a couple of times "oh, I'll just stay and watch over the food."

I think my more liberal JW sister has managed to talk some sense into her at last. This 180 turnaround is such a surprise that I'm not even going to get my hopes up in case she changes her mind again....

Any suggestions as to "apostacizing" to be done at the wedding ceremony? My local pastor will be speaking, and its also going to be at the chapel of a christian college....

• Purza
    Purza

I am so very happy for you. I do not have any suggestions for "apostacizing". I am dealing with the same issue. My parents have stated that they will not attend my wedding. I am glad your mother has done the 180 and has decided to come. Hopefully she will not change her mind.

How many people are attending your wedding?

Purza

• AuSet
    AuSet

I'm trying to keep it small, (under 50) but that number keeps growing...some childhood friends of my fiance informed his parents they were coming whether they were invited or not!

I decided to spend all our money on food and booze. We're not even going to decorate, and I'm pretty sure the groom may be wearing blue jeans...

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

Au,

Happy to hear that your mom is willing to come to your wedding. My JW parents came to mine--my mom even made my wedding dress. We kept the ceremony pretty non-religious. We had an ex-Coast Gaurd captain marry us. Out of respect for my parents, there were not even any passages used from the bible, although now that I write that, I am not sure they appreciated the compliment. We used an Apache (?) wedding prayer. :)

We had a really simple wedding too---we just wanted everyone to have FUN.

Congrats again. I hope everything goes as well as you want it to.

Bethany

• Netty
    Netty

Hi there, congratulations. That is great for you. I went through a hard time with this, as my father refused to walk me down the aisle, it was so important to me for some reason. But they did attend, and I am sure I would have had much more of some sort of ceremony if it wasnt for them. But for their sake, I had a Justice of the Peace come and do a very very short ceremony, if thats what you want to call it. In the end I am very glad they were there. I hope this works good for you. Have fun with your wedding, dont let anyone spoil it for you!

• Sassy
    Sassy

that is wonderful! I am so happy for you.

I know if I get married again, my mother would not be so liberal..

• kls
    kls

That is great news and remember not to let them intimidate you on your special day.

• shamus
    shamus

When was your RSVP due by?

I think if it was past the due date, tell her that only she is welcome, as there is not enough room. Don't let her control you; she'll probably not come at the last minute, to save her (cough) spirituality.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Anyways, I'm glad that at least one woman in Minnesota is accepting of her non dub offspring's significant other.

• harleyquinn
    harleyquinn

that is awesome!! my hardcore jw mom decided to come to my 'worldly' wedding as well...even with the threat of my hubby's lesbian humanistic jew rabbi aunt performing the ceremony....which, unfortunately, didn't happen...but we did have a female jewish cantor perform our non-denominational ceremony...which included a lot of american indian elements, (not to mention my vows which included bruce lee & missy elliott quotes) and was out in 'the showiness of nature'..haha she actually commented that it was a nice ceremony, "considering"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit