Common experiences of JW's and xjw's

by avishai 8 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

What are common experiences we have, conflicts and resolutions of these situations? I.E Df'ing, brainwashing? I'm starting a screenplay, and just want the basic's for a skeleton. I've got the basics, but wanna see if i've missed anything

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Certainly work in there conflicts that happen to young JWs at school. Not only holidays and patriotism but extra curricular activities likes dances, overnight trips, sports etc. Plus the general disregard other students often have especially if you have called at their door..

• dh
    dh

a common experience as a jw kid is being asked what you got for christmas.

• Sally
    Sally

Love story about a JW boy who falls in love with a beautiful girl but alas they are not to be because she is not a JW. Sad ending.

• Samdownunder
    Samdownunder

feeling "sorry" for our friends/relatives that wouldn't open their hearts to the "truth" and hense seperating ourselves from them and worrying constantly that they wouldn't be in the new system. Lots of unneccessary heartache

• Farkel
    Farkel

One of the more common experiences we have as ex-dubs is that we despise (or at the very least, greatly distrust) organized religion.

A very common experience after leaving the JWs is to spend years staying completely away from religious organizations. In my case, I was an agnostic/atheist for over ten years after I left.

Farkel

• SAHS
    SAHS

Constantly worrying deep down that you are not good enough to survive armageddon, and that you very possibly have been condemned because you ended up doing things that you were no doubt driven to due to the effects of the JW dogma.

? For everyone: guilt, fear, compulsion, apprehension

? For most: self-doubt, low self-esteem, anxiety

? For a lot: annoyance, anger, resentment

? For some: giving up

? For a select few: overwhelming grief, depression, and suicidal tendency

? For all who manage to rise above it: success, and my congratulations!

?SAHS

• franklin J
    franklin J

Avishai

I still cannot forget that as a child I was brainwashed; kept from social interaction with other "normal" wordly children ( they were not good enough for a servant of Jehovah) and was really taught ( and really believed ) that I was going to live forever and all those other children were going to die at Armegeddon.

What a horrific thing to teach a child!

• Purza
    Purza

The concept that I had a hard time overcoming was the fact that I was never going to die. I honestly believed that I would live forever. My mother never thought I would even start school, yet here I am 30 years later. I do not know if I have made peace with the fact that I will eventually die, but I now see it as a reality.

I also used to make up what I was for halloween as I so desperately wanted to be like the other kids.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit