Backstabbing - not what it used to be!

by Sunbeam 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

I just thought I'd share some JW mum sayings with you. It can be painful seeing someone waste their lives in the borg. But sometimes you've just got to laugh. My husband's had another 'tell me why you left, son' talk with his mum. (Wendy, there must be something in the air).

First of all, he pointed out the backstabbing and spying that is rife in the congregations. To which she replied, 'yes, that's true, but it's not as bad as it used to be'.

So it seems like the society's improving all the time. Backstabbing's at an all time low. Doesn't that make you want to go running back?

Asked why she is unable to defend her beliefs from the bible after more than 30 years of studying (is this a JW norm?), when I can manage a reasonable defence after only 2 - 'well I haven't looked into it as much as you and you're more academic, you can understand Greek grammar'. (Although she always claims that she really looked into it before she jumped, and I've never mentioned Greek grammar).

Anyway, the conversation wound up with her denying that the WTS ever said that anyone accepting blood fractions would be disfellowshipped. So if anyone can tell me which WT that was in - and where I can buy it on the net - please point me in the right direction.

Do you think that such desperate answers indicate that we could be getting somewhere? Or is this a lost cause?

Love
    Sunbeam
    xxx

BTW, my agnostic husband didn't want to tell me this, but he decided to show her a key change in the NWT, the 'Word was a god' line in contrast to its rendering in the interlinear. But he couldn't remember where it was. When he opened the bible it practically fell open at John 1. Spooky!

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

Sunbeam
    locally the standard quote from many(usually honest hearted sisters sometimes with unbelieving mates) when they don't understand something i.e. the whole bible because they only study "Towers" for Sunday morning- is "you should talk to one of the elders, they could explain it". Its sad but true.
    sawthelight

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Hi STL

We've had something similar. She'll triumphantly read out a scripture, expecting us to see the error of our ways. But without the society's explanations, the scripture doesn't say what she wants it to. This results in a frustrated 'well, you'll have to read our books'.

It isn't doctrine that holds these people, it's emotion and blind faith in the society. But I'm glad that you saw the light!

Love
    Sunbeam
    xxx

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

I agree about the emotional aspects of most dubs faith. I also wonder how many stay in after relizing the folly of their ways because they have invested so much time(years, or worse, decades)in the borg. How many could face their neighbors or workmates having to admit that they had been decieved all along (all during the time of the preachy we're all right, the world's all wrong and holier than thou attitude)
    sawthelight

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

An interesting point. I read an article the other day about how NASA is standing in the way of private investment in space travel, but still losing Govt money bigtime. Their defence: "If you don't throw more money at us, the squillions you've already thrown at us will be wasted!"

How many Dubs stay in for the same reason?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit