A good little story.

by Atilla 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

Well, college is starting up next week for me and I had to go to campus today to pick up my books. One of my friends from work as well as college has been nagging me all summer about this friend of his who is a JW. My friend told me that they hang out all the time but often argue about religion. His JW friend is inactive but still strongly defends the JW religion and that is what they argue about when they are out drinking.

Now, usually I don't get involved in these things, but I agreed to meet with him and his JW friend today on campus. By this time in my life, I have fallen into my role as an apostate quite well. I have my books, my UN pdf, and a list of helpful websites, and best of all my life story. Well, we talked for over an hour, but I saw the glazed over the dubs face, and decided to end it. He didn't disagree with anything I said but seemed very confused as to what direction he wanted to go in.

In talking with him, I found it totally amazing that even though his parents practically shun him and his own sister wrote him a letter saying stating her disapproval in his low meeting attendence, he was still defending the WT. Shocking but I was once in his shoes and I know how difficult it is go against everything you ever believed. I ended by saying, what is the end game? He is about 20, so I said where is all of this going, will you still believe in JWism even if the year 2070 comes and goes with no Armageddon. He said emphatically yes, I will believe until the day I die, unbelievable.

Well, it was scary to go back to all those memories but I realize that I can't run from the past or pretend that I was never a JW. However, I also know I can't let the bitterness consume my life. I guess I will muddle through, everyday is one more day of new freedom.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I know it can be frustrating to see someone whose life is being sucked away by the organization like that. But ultimately you can only help those who take the first step themselves. They have to realize and question the society before the rest of it will sink in. I applaud your courage and compassion in trying to reach him.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Atilla, if he let you talk to him for a whole hour, chances are he was interested in what you had to say. I'm sure he's doing some pretty heavy thinking on it right now. Even if he was defending the borg, remember that a lot of us sounded like good little zombies right up until the day we left- doesn't mean you weren't making progress with him. Good job!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit