Evolution- Subject of New Essay/Book Review on Commentary Press

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

I noticed there is a new essay/book review on Commentary Press entitled, "Why Popular Reasons for Believing Evolution Are Wrong".

Here's the address for anyone interested: http://www.commentarypress.com/essay-evolution.html

My thanks to Commentary Press for all their fine essays.

Sabrina

• logansrun
    logansrun

Leaving the GB and coming to the conclusion that the first 60 years of your life were spent chasing a chimerical fantasy is a big thing. Asking Ray to believe in evolution is a bit much to ask!

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Hi Logansrun,

The writer of the book review is anonymous, no name listed. Not all the essays on Commentary Press are written by Ray so the author may very well be someone else.

Do you feel the material is lacking and does not do what it claims to do?

Sabrina

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think this essay is prety lame just by looking at the first part reveiwing chapter 2 which says the previous claim was that there was no free oxygen in earth's early days but the updated claim is that the was the earth's atmosphere was (free)oxygen rich. I find this claim wishfull thinking and unsubstansiated it may work for those without any knowlegde and looking to grasp at straws to hold on to their beliefs of creation but it is far from accurate.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

For those who still hold out hope for a concrete answer, or finite conclusion regarding the existence of a superior intelligence, this article definitely lends support. However, as in all matters of the absolute and the unknown, we cannot honestly, conscientiously adopt a dogmatic stance nor a presumptuous approach.

The author has duplicated the evidentiary approach to the issue, much in the same way as an attorney collects supporting evidence to bolster an argument. But, at all times, an argument is an argument, it is never absolute truth. Thus, any adept skilled scientist could also formulate a well-written rebuttal and present literary quotations, footnotes and accomplish the very same task, which is provoke the reader to think.

That is a lofty goal. However, as in all arguments, opposing sides tend to proceed with a legalized approach, each hoping to convince the observers with evidence, reasoning, argumentation and adversarial critiques. I believe it is important to maintain an open mind, to be observant, to be patient for new discoveries and new information, and to avoid posturing in any position that cannot be absolutely proven with the resources available today.

I can prove the sun rises by asking you to watch the sunrise in the morning. Since it actually occurs, there is physical evidence in motion to confirm the rising of the sun. In the matter addressed by the essay, neither side of the issue has absolute, undisputable, physical evidence to support their cause.

Of course, religionists cannot help but approach issues using dogma or legalized format because that is what the core essence of religion is all about, a set of rules and beliefs about human existence. It's too bad that method is still around and has not been scrapped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit