Captive to a Concept (Anatomy of an Illusion) Don Cameron--Heard of this?

by blondie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Captives of a Concept" (Anatomy of an Illusion)

By Don Cameron
    Aug 21, 2004

There is a new book coming out shortly - "Captives of a Concept" (Anatomy of an Illusion).

It tries to help the reader understand why Jehovah's Witnesses think and act the way they do because of being dominated and controlled by an illusionary concept of how God is dealing with them and the all the rest of mankind.

It doesn't try to compare any of the teachings of the Bible with the teachings of the Watchtower Society. This is because what they believe about the Bible is not what causes their captivity. It is what they believe about the Watchtower Society that does it.

And so it isn't necessary to know anything about the Bible when dealing with the concept that holds Jehovah's Witnesses captive. This means that one doesn't have to debate with them about what the Bible does or doesn't teach - something most people would prefer not to try to do.

The middle of the book presents some of the innovative 'techniques' the Society's religious leaders have come up with during the past one hundred or so years which they have used over and over again to keep themselves and millions of Jehovah's Witnesses from noticing anything inside or outside the Bible that is able to help them realize that the concept holding them captive is not true. But in order to escape the captivity this concept produces, they will have to come to realize not only what it is, but that it is just an illusion.

The book also offers some suggestions that may help some kinds of Witnesses begin to take the necessary steps to release themseslves from their self-imposed captivity to the illusionary concept that has been holding them captive.

And it is also hoped that this information may help some non-Witnesses even look forward to their next visit rather then dreading it.

For additional information about the book go to http://www.geocities.com/captives_of_a_concept/

------------

About the author Don Cameron: I was a captive of the above concept for twenty years. Once I realized what had happened to me I was able to take the necessary stepts to release myself from my self-imposed captivity to it. I began thinking about writing "Captives of a Concept" soon after I left the organization in 1985. The book's website is at the following:

http://www.geocities.com/captives_of_a_concept/

Email: [email protected]

• garybuss
    garybuss

It is a valuable piece of work. I believe it will be a real help exit counseling people and a resource for those like me who are interested in the power of reinforced repetition in influencing human behavior. The format is easy to read and it deals with the question of why Jehovah's Witnesses seem loyal to the publishing corporation in the face of volumes of disconfirmations. It shows how the huge mistakes made by the Society over the years are not important to a Witness who embraces the concept. GaryB

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, Gary. I noticed that you had a nice review on the related website. I noticed it on my Google news sites. I just ordered Penton's book, Schnell's book, and Diane Wilson's book. One more to order and read. Some to dilute the WT nonsense.

Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

The other good thing for me about this book is that it uses modern Watch Tower Publishing Corporation mass produced literature for references, so the interested person and me do not have go to the literature archives to check the quotes.

I wish I had something like this when I walked away in 1974. Even in 1992 when I started to question my Tower installed assumptions that I was using to run my life there was a shortage of rational information. We were sold the idea, we were sold the reenforcements, we were sold the punishments for questioning the idea.

I think Don has done a great job of putting it together in a straight line.

• blondie
    blondie

Your a good spokesperson, Gary. It makes me wish I had it now.

Blondie

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Hi Blondie,

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. I will certainly buy it when it becomes available.

Swamp Thing

• Satanus
    Satanus

The author was here a couple of weeks ago, promoting the book. Due to the way he did it, some of us were not very receptive. It's good to read gary's positive view on it.

S

• blondie
    blondie

I guess I missed that post Satanus. The book does sound intriguing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit