Generational Pride and Preference amongst the JW's

by jgnat 9 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just about the first elder I ever met (Elder A) told me there are no preferences amongst Jehovah's Witnesses. "Look at Elder B, here. He is a convert, whereas I am a third generation Jehovah's Witnesses. And we are both treated equally in the congregation." After I finished processing this bit of unsolicited information, I thought, "Yeah, right! I would never have been aware of Elder B's generational status unless you brought it up!"

I can understand why this might develop in this closed society. The witnesses do have a rich, exotic history, and I can understand how children would be proud of the evangelical exploits of their ancestors. I mean, their efforts were so tireless, their techniques varied and bold as compared to today. I can understand, too, with the deep suspicion the society has of "strangers", how a newcomer or a convert would have a harder time being accepted socially. It is also no wonder, with the natural desire to see their loved ones in Paradise, that families become protective within themselves, doing everything they can to keep close what is theirs. It would be natural for elders will do what they can to let the minor slips of their offspring be overlooked.

These are all natural, human tendencies. But none of them are Christian! My JW honey has toiled long and hard for acceptance for years, and I am convinced his took so long because he had no human advocate within the organization.

Do you have similar stories of generational pride and preference? Am I portraying the possible motives accurately? I am on my way out the door, but I will check back later to see if this thread strikes a chord.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

It is lots of pride. There is also agnst among new members feeling like they are stepchildren. Especialy when they marry a long in the tooth JW family. In all reality I have seensome weird taste test phenomena. WHere the hall swallows the new brother whole gragels him around to see if he is good or has ANY current character flaws and then spits him out. Sisters dont have this problem because they are just potential wives. If the person has any problems they useually loose credibility. So they well ge appointed to some position and have it taken because the other brothers will stage, exploit or dig to find some flaw. THis does not stop them from reappointing the person .So you end up with peope on their 3rd time as MS or 2nd time as elder. Ofcourse nobody treats them like a "real" elder because of all the deletions and reinstatements.

• micheal
    micheal

Good point.

Jehovah's Witnesses are like the rest of the world ( although they like to believe different ) it's all who you know.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Interesting observation, XQ. "Of course nobody treats them like a "real" elder because of all the deletions and reinstatements." So a poor sincere soul can labour his entire life long, and never feel completely accepted.

Michael, if I pointed this out to a JW, do you think they would see the irony?

Is there any place on this earth where we feel equally accepted, regardless of our "credentials"? Wal-mart?

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear jgnat, I believe there has been generational pride and preferance since time immorial and that has gotten us to this point in our lives.

michelle.

We might even ask our selves, "Is there a God?"

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am sure, myelaine. It is a very natural thing to do. But not exactly Christ-like. Can a child depend on his/her parent's faith to save them? Should judgement be more severe for the first-generation convert, just because there is no one to advocate on his/her behalf?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The whole "generational pride" thing is so ironic.... three generations of ppl waiting for the end to come any day now, just around the corner, just a few years out, etc. That is something to be proud of?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, Leoalia, you are right. I wonder if I could get a JW to see it? Perhaps the interested householder could ask this:

"Wow, three generations of Jehovah's Witnesses. Did your grandfather preach that the end was coming soon, door to door like you do?"

"...and your mother, did she go door to door that the end was coming soon, like you do?"

"And yourself, I see you are carrying on the tradition admirably."

"And your children, are you planning on teaching them to go door to door and tell everyone that the end is coming soon?"

So, how soon do I have to be worrying about the end-times coming? I guess I better unpack my bags.

• blondie
    blondie

I look at it the way you might a family that has a long history in politics or business and the preferential treatment family gets. While I don't agree with it, I can see the dynamics in congregations.

I think it is because they are seen as not having been "contaminated" by the world like someone who comes out of the nonJW society that their spirituality is rated more highly. Of course, the opposite can be true. Because they have not had to work or struggle, they take it for granted, devalue it by riding on the coattails of their parents and grandparents. It is as the son of the father or grandfather who owns the business gets preferential treatment even though he proves to have no talent for it. The elders feel they "know" the son or grandson because they saw them grow up in the congregation whereas the new JW who has been attending for 3 or 5 years can be an unknown quantity especially since the elders are not very good at getting to know people. I have seen people get beyond the stigma of being DF'd and reinstated and eventually appointed MS then elder...their secret, they greased their way with money. They have sucked up to the people with power, entertaining them, making sure they spend time in "field service" with them, making sure their name is in the forefront. Money outvotes family history in most of the situations I have seen.

Blondie (3rd generation idiot)

• jgnat
    jgnat
    The new JW who has been attending for 3 or 5 years can be an unknown quantity especially since the elders are not very good at getting to know people. I have seen people get beyond the stigma of being DF'd and reinstated and eventually appointed MS then elder...their secret, they greased their way with money.

Oooooh, my honey is such an innocent.....Yeah, after all these years, they still pronounce his name wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit