Pioneers, Elders---No Kids, No House, No material goods

by christopherrobin 4 Replies latest jw friends

• christopherrobin
    christopherrobin

I Am Saving It For The Kingdom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of these types have counseled others for 'Having kids, buying houses, being concerned w/ work, you have to pioneer, blah, blah, blah---and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only to turn around AND --- Lo and Behold--they are----Having kids-----Buying houses-------Bragging about the money they make-----Buying new cars ( did I mention bragging )??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????

• Confucious
    Confucious

This one thing started my thinking...

At the time, me and my wife were pioneering and were very impressionable.

There was one older couple who were pioneers and also the guy was the PO.

For the LONGEST time, the would always make snide comments about how other people in the cong were not putting the kingdom first and all that. This was because they were buying homes and having babies -etc.

So we followed their lead.

They also got on the case about one couple who got married when the girl was just a teenager.

So guess what???

A few years later... Yup. Their son married a teenager. Bought a home and then had two babies.

Suddenly they were making snide comments about people who felt HOW THEY USED TO FEEL.

Me and my wife were probably the only ones that caught on to their hypocrisy, because we REALLY took stock in their opinions.

• dh
    dh

yeah, it is stupid when window cleaners, builders and postmen come around to give you counsel on your life.

but then jesus was a carpenter, he was never married, never had any kids, probably died a virgin... yet hundreds of millions of people will follow his advice and councel.

guess it all boils down to how far you're willing to follow the yarn.

• nb-dfed
    nb-dfed

When my husband were engaged (at 19 & 21), my husband went all the way to point of going to his vasectomy appt before chickening out. We were both pioneers and totally, completely convinced that we weren't going to raise children in "this system of things". Thank god he chickened b/c now we're getting ready to start a family! But that was the thinking in my congregation. A lot of couples in my cong had big fancy homes, made tons of money, drove nice cars, always on vacation or in designer clothes, but of course they had no material attatchments!

• Agnes
    Agnes

Yes, have some relatives who never bought a home or any of the other things you mention, but they sure spend a lot of time traveling...doesn't that cost money too? I guess they would find some way to justify it though. It's all a matter of priorities.

Agnes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit