Not sure if this belongs in this subheading...

by CeriseRose 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

but I really don't know where to put it if not here.

Just an interesting bit of things that I'm reading. Now, please remember that I had NO Bible knowledge prior to JWs and they 'got' to me just as I was hitting the years where most people go to University to expand their knowledge. So in my quest for knowledge and catchup, I saw this book and my fiance picked it up for me to read.

It's called the Secret Teachings of All Ages, written by Manly P. Hall, originally published in 1928. It is self-described as "An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic, and Rosicrusian Symbolical Philosophy."

I'm taking a philosophy course, but as anyone who's delved into that area of study knows, the subject of religion is quite intertwined. I picked up the book for its philosophical side, but am I ever getting my eyes opened to religion, and the 'stories' from the Bible in particular.

Things like most ancient cultures had a flood fable (which even the Insight book mentions). What they don't mention is that most ancient cultures had a 'dying god acting as a saviour for all' facet. !

I'm only 100 pages into this 700 + page book. I'm simply astounded at how much the Bible *could* have been taken from other cultures and their mythology/religion.

This, coupled with reading the DaVinci Code earlier this year, really boggles my mind. I mean, I don't know how much of any of these other things are true either, but the concept that it *could*...wow. Talk about opening my eyes.

• jwbot
    jwbot

You peeked my interest and I am going to look for those books at the library this week.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

It's a bit of a heavy read. I love reading and read quickly and I have to go a little slower because it's so full of stuff.

But if you're questing for knowledge, even varied and confusing knowledge *grin*, this could work. :)

• Maverick
    Maverick

It does make you wonder. Just finished reading my daughters college philosophy text book and something Karl Popper said really stuck in my mind. Mankind does not have accurate knowledge. We get closer and closer as time goes on. But we do know what does not work, and that is where we should focus. Fix the worst, more glaring problems in society, work from the bottom up. This has been the story of civilization. We had fixed those most basic problems and advanced upward. We may not know what the best most right ways are. We do know what the most pressing problems are.

With so much conflict and disunity in the spiritual, and with no two people agreeing on all the possible facets of that realm, chances are we are all wrong and everyone who has ever lived has been wrong. For people to beat each other over doctrine is ludicrous! Mav

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com

has a very large list of such books. including THE JESUS MYSTERIES, PAGAN CHRISTS, and others which document the more than a dozen older than Jesus god man myths which parallel his story so closely it is more than a bit suspicious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit