Need your help for a little research!!!

by cecil 7 Replies latest jw friends

• cecil
    cecil

I have found something interesting in the danish New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. And I would like to know, how the other NW-translations render the same verse.

It's the "famous" words in Jeremiah 29:10, which in the NWT's rendering usually (at least as far as I know) seem to depict and strengthen the seventy years as a period of captivity, instead of servitude under babylonian supremacy!

English
    „For this is what Jehovah has said, ’In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon I shall return my...’“

German:
    „Denn dies ist was Jehova gesagt hat: ’In Übereinstimmung mit der Erfüllung von siebzig Jahren in Babylon werde ich euch...’“

Polish:
    „Tak bowiem rzekl Jehowa: ’Gdysi sie dopelni siedemdziesiat lat w Babilonie, zworoce na was uwage...’“

Nothing new here. But when you read the danish NWT you'll be quite surprised:

DANISH
    „For således har Jehova sagt: ’Først når halvfjerds år er udløbet for Babylon...’”

Yes, you're right: The danish translation says FOR (equals the english FOR) and not IN (that would be I in danish). And it would be possible to say I BABYLON instead of FOR BABYLON without any other change in this verse.

The same interesting thing happens when you compare the column-titles for Jeremiah 29:10 in these translations:

english:
    Return in 70 years

german:
    Rückkehr nach 70 Jahren

polish
    Powroca po 70 latach

And now the danish version:
    70 år (which simply means: 70 years - nothing about a return in this column-title...

Now that made me really wondering: Should there be any other NWT (in other languages) that render Jeremiah 29:10 different from the english version - and maybe like the danish? Should there be something special about the danish NWT...? At least this verse is QUITE DIFFERENT from the other NWT I've seen! Strange, don't you think so???

Please correct me if I'm wrong: But the danish NWT says something that the WBTS usually says is incorrect translated in other bibles and which is in direct contrast to the normal WTBS-application of the 70 years in Jeremiah as years of exile and desolation!!

->->->->->
    ->->->->->Here's where I NEED YOUR HELP: Please quote Jeremiah 29:10 from the NWT in your own language (spanish or swedish or... - I think the NWT is available in 31 languages today, but I don't know in which languages) and tell in english if your NWT says FOR Babylon or AT Babylon.

I am writing a letter to the danish branch-office about this issue (the WT-chronology) at the moment and of course I'm going to ask a question about the rendering of Jeremiah 29:10 i the danish NWT. And I'll publish the answer on this board - if I can get an answer...

Thanks
    cecil

• Prisca
    Prisca

Just bringing this to the top.....

• cecil
    cecil

just bringing my request to the top once more...

• chasson
    chasson

Hi cecil,

In french, this is the same thing than in english: "In Babylon"

But this kind of local's particularity don't surprised me. before
    1995, the french's version was more liberal in front the english
    version. Example there were no "only-begotten son", and John 1:1
    was translated by "The word was god" and not "A god".

Bye

Charles

• outnfree
    outnfree

Cecil,

Somewhere I have the NWT in French. I will have a look around for it.

Meanwhile, if you haven't already discovered this, the Jews were not in Babylon 70 years, because they went INTO captivity in 586/7 BCE, NOT 607 BCE.

If I send you the French will you spell out "I love you" in Danish for me? I know how to say it (my grandparents were Danish), but they're both dead, and I don't know how to spell it.

outnfree

• outnfree
    outnfree

Well, charles' response saves me the look around,
    but will you please spell out "I love you" in Danish for me, cecil?

outnfree

• chasson
    chasson

Non, no outnfree,

This is for me the "I love you" in danish now ;-)

Bye

Charles

• cecil
    cecil

Hi Chasson.

Thanks for your reply. I'd like you to paste the original words from the french NWT - Jer. 29:10 - here, if possible... I need it for a quote. Thanks in advance!

Hi Outnfree.

The english "I love you" is spelled "Jeg elsker dig" i danish. (I hope that these words - whoever you will write/tell them... - will work!!!)

;-)
    Cecil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit