Archaeology Find Made In Israel

by allpoweredup 3 Replies latest jw friends

• allpoweredup
  • allpoweredup
  • Mary
    Mary

"...the images are from the Byzantine era, apparently carved by monks who associated the site with John ..."

While I'm fascinated by biblical archaeology, I'm somewhat leary of them saying that they can link this cave to John the Baptist. The images on the wall "are from the Byzantine era", which began, I believe in the 4th century. Had the imagines been carved in the 1st century CE, then I'd say they had something substantial to go with. 300 years after John the Baptist is a long time. This would be like us carving images of the owner into a home that was built in 1704 and someone 1,700 years from now using it as proof that we must have known what they looked like.

Still, it's a fasinating find.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Archeologists do more speculating on "shards of evidence" than the FDS....well at least a close second! I spent a week with a trio of archeologists and their twenty some students in southern Israel. I became very unwelcome by challenging the assumptions they constantly made with incredibly miniscule evidence. It is almost a religion amongst the elite PHD archeologists to reconstruct complete societies based on a few kitchen middens..

I wonder if Russell was a closed archeologist??

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit