The Tuning Fork

by El blanko 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• El blanko
    El blanko

Robert and Ben were raised in a fundamental Christian environment and held a firm belief in the existence of Satan. Any supernatural occurrence outside of their understanding would be placed at Satan?s door, as a manifestation of evil. The cynic may say that Satan formed the archetype of their ignorance, yet to these friends he was the spiritual architect creating the fabric of this, our reality.

Robert believes that Satan is ?the spirit of the air? (according to his understanding of scripture) and therefore all that we touch and imbibe must be tainted by Satan?s celestial breath.

Satan is to Robert a master of fashion and simply uses the creative expression of human artwork at any given moment in time, as the vehicle to mislead. Thus, the flying ?saucepans? of the 1950s have now transformed themselves into sophisticated and sleek objects for the year 2000.

One day these friends were returning from a meal out, walking together down a long and dimly lit lane towards home. There was a flash of light just ahead and they were both staggered to see what they later described as a UFO.

The UFO hovered amidst the clouds, emitting an ethereal glow. Shaped like a tuning fork and illuminating the road ahead with a splash of brilliant white light it remained suspended for approximately 30 seconds before vanishing without a trace.

Both friends turned towards each other; jointly acknowledging the vision.

Robert knew within himself that Satan was putting him to the test. He reasoned that Satan was attempting to mislead him into a belief system involving extraterrestrial life forms, as Robert had an interest in science fiction and therefore Satan must be using this facet of his imagination against him.

Ben, whose faith had been wavering of late, instantly dismissed the tuning fork as nothing to be concerned about, although accepting that it was indeed a strange event.

To Robert, Ben manifested fear and chose ignorance as a shield against the truth. By Ben?s reaction, the confirmation of Satan?s presence was profound and Robert had little doubt in his mind that this was a sign for him to increases his activity towards Christ; perhaps helping people like Ben to firm their faith.

Both friends eventually drifted apart and several years after the ?tuning fork? experience they met once more to share tales and past experiences.

Robert still asserted that the UFO experience was Satanic, while Ben refused to talk in any detail about the event and had assigned it to his vault, never to be reopened.

What strikes me about this experience is the subjectivity involved.

If Robert and Ben were bought up in a secular environment and were perhaps influenced by contemporary science, rather than religious dogma, would they have reacted in the same way?

I think not.

It is more than likely the event would have been defined as a natural phenomenon without a clear explanation, considering the objective nature of this age.

However, this experience propelled Robert into the distinctly mystical, thus leading him to a so-called religious experience?

It is always fascinating how subjective these events become depending upon the predisposition of the spectator(s) involved and as this is always the case; we are never any closer to a determination of actual truth.

These events often promote a feeling of awe and this fits rather snugly within a religious context. There is a heightened sense of awareness and often this will be interpreted as a quasi-spiritual experience. A man may be struck dumb with fear, or temporarily overcome by emotion and to a man like Robert; this will be his road to Damascus.

To the ?conspiracy freak? this will no doubt confirm that technology is being withheld and those pesky scientists are playing with new toys in the sky.

To the Hindu, this manifestation may well be defined as a demon or one of the many Gods that form the greater reality that links us to Brahma.

To the atheist this may well confirm that there is life upon other planets and if there is life on other planets then our uniqueness diminishes and the power of the Bible?s central doctrine weakens.

And so, truth as ever is obscured by the fog of subjectivity and one?s head continues to bounce from theory to theory.

Robert?s world is a comfortable realm of boxes that are clearly defined. There is one God, one Devil and one saviour. Our life depends upon obedience to the Bible laws and our faith in Christ. Robert is far more self-assured than I and he lives a life ignoring other possibilities and has a greater share of that elusive commodity, contentment.

It is easy to sneer at Robert?s explanation of this reality, but ultimately he may be as right as the next man.

Who is to say?

As a tuning fork performs the task of clarifying a particular note to the musician, this tuning fork clarified Satan within Robert?s mind, yet to me, the note I heard after hearing the tale was indistinct.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

El Blanko:
    An interesting account, for sure.

... if there is life on other planets then our uniqueness diminishes and the power of the Bible?s central doctrine weakens.

It does? Do you mean specifically fundamentalist's central doctrines (and, in this case JW's)?

• El blanko
    El blanko
    It does? Do you mean specifically fundamentalist's central doctrines (and, in this case JW's)?

I do indeed.

I have a problem relating to other branches of Christianity (as you have probably gathered already) and view Christians as either fundamentalists or weak.

No insult to your own faith, as I could be wrong of course, yet work from my own understanding and experience of the Christian faith, having invested mental energy engaging with the more liberal adherents of the faith over the years.

That is part of the reason why I have cast a rigid belief system aside at present and stumble around in the darkness at present. Instead, I explore the actual philosophy as to why people choose to believe X,Y & Z to be truth.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

El Blanko:
    It's so good to hear where you are coming from. Thanks for sharing that.
    Do you attend fellowship anywhere?

I have a problem relating to other branches of Christianity (as you have probably gathered already) and view Christians as either fundamentalists or weak.

Those would be the extremities. IMHO, in between is something nearer the truth. Unfortunately that kind of living, flexible faith is reasonably rare at the black and white poles.

No insult to your own faith, as I could be wrong of course, yet work from my own understanding and experience of the Christian faith, having invested mental energy engaging with the more liberal adherents of the faith over the years.

Sometimes the battle is entirely in the mind. I try to view folks as being brethren, regardless of contrary persuasion doctrinally. Meanwhile you'll have a hard job insulting me, my friend

That is part of the reason why I have cast a rigid belief system aside at present and stumble around in the darkness at present. Instead, I explore the actual philosophy as to why people choose to believe X,Y & Z to be truth.

Rigid belief systems may work temporarily, but they usually crack apart under pressure. Humans aren't too good at keeping rules, which is where grace enters in (not by way of excuse, incidentally). Legalism may satisfy the mind, but uiltimately it wont satisfy the heart, and IMHO he wants our heart.

I ask you, with Pilate: What is truth? A tuning fork?

• El blanko
    El blanko

Fellowship does not appeal to be honest, although I do gather regularly with a few ex-JWs in a house, mostly of the 'faded' variety. I would now find it very difficult to attend a congregational arrangement and to be frank, have little to no interest in group worship. This was one feature I never felt truly comfortable with as a practising JW and much preferred the relative isolation of the ministry and viewed this as being the most important aspect of my faith.

I am a loner at heart. Always have been. It hurts me to stretch myself too thinly socially speaking.

Of course, you may simply mean having fellowship with like-minded people, in which case, yes, I do.

Rigid belief systems may work temporarily, but they usually crack apart under pressure.

As I know from experience through personal asceticism - yet, time and time again I constrict myself to a robotic form of existence, in an attempt to reach God.

Sicko that I am.

I ask you, with Pilate: What is truth? A tuning fork?
    ... our truth is the resonance, not the fork.
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just a word to the wise, but, sometimes we need to move out of our comfort zones in "leaps of faith".

So what is the music of that resonance?

• El blanko
    El blanko
    Just a word to the wise, but, sometimes we need to move out of our comfort zones in "leaps of faith".

Very true. Fear being the restraint.

So what is the music of that resonance?

The sweetest tune is love and the most powerful. C.S.Lewis when writing 'The Four Loves' managed to hum a pleasant harmony.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A maxim I live by: "Fear only fear itself".

A means to achieve it: 1 John 4:18

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit