what is jdubs & other questions

by c.dawn 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• c.dawn
    c.dawn

Hi,

I'm not a JW but my sister and her kids are. Can you tell me what jdubs means? I see it referred here often. Also, do JW's still sell their literature when they go door to door ? And if so, what do they say as far as how they ask for the money.

I know they used to come to my door ( last times was 1992) and ask if I'd like to buy the publication for the price of copying it.

Also, are many of you still very active in the organization, or rarely attend services, meetings etc,?

I sometimes see posts about that weeks study, so I thought maybe some people here still attend them..

At Bible studies, meetings ( don't know what you call them), do you have a topic selected before hand and then refer to the Bible for your sole source of answers, or do you refer to church literature to get your answers? Are people allowed to ask any question they want about the topic your studying?

How many wish you could just walk away?

Just walk out the door, put up your hands to the sky and yell, " Free, Thank God, I'm free at last". and head on down the road. ( Kind of what I did when I was 18 and left our abusive home)

If you are still active in the organization, attend services, etc, yet would really like to be able to leave the organization. What is the main reason you stay in?

How does that effect your inner self as far as having to suppress your true feelings and just sit in services like a good dutiful, obedient JW?

Sorry for all the questions. I got the impression by some posts that the main reason some people won't leave is because of the real possibility of being shunned by family members. I can see how that would be an affective control tool. Do you think the organization knows very well that will cause some people to think twice before deciding to leave?

My sisters greatest desire for her children is that they grow up to be good obedient, faithful, JW's

Thanks for any input.

C.dawn

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Hello C. Dawn,

Like yourself, I am not, nor have I ever been a JW. I am also very new to this site, but have found it to be a great resource for understanding the cult of JWism. There are some truly wonderful people here who are very willing to help us outsiders understand. I will add, however, that sometimes it can feel like the Twilight Zone learning about this cult.

Welcome from another newbie,

Swamp Thing

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Can you tell me what jdubs means?

Just a little abbreviation for JW................JayDub..Ya..........get it?

• shamus
    shamus
    I got the impression by some posts that the main reason some people won't leave is because of the real possibility of being shunned by family members. I can see how that would be an affective control tool. Do you think the organization knows very well that will cause some people to think twice before deciding to leave?

You answered your own question. It is a high-control religious group. Here are some lovely pictures from they're publications. They're about as harmless as cianide.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm not a JW but my sister and her kids are. Can you tell me what jdubs means? I see it referred here often.

J ehovah (J) W itnesses (W) = J Double U = J dubs

Also, do JW's still sell their literature when they go door to door ? And if so, what do they say as far as how they ask for the money.

No, a donation to the "worldwide work" is requested sometimes but not required. If you donate, realize that you are supporting their ministry.

I know they used to come to my door ( last times was 1992) and ask if I'd like to buy the publication for the price of copying it.

Also, are many of you still very active in the organization, or rarely attend services, meetings etc,?

Some still attend because they are afraid of losing contact with friends and family if they don't. Most of us no longer attend.I

sometimes see posts about that weeks study, so I thought maybe some people here still attend them..

I still get the magazines and examine and post my views every week for the material to be studied at the WT study.

At Bible studies, meetings ( don't know what you call them), do you have a topic selected before hand and then refer to the Bible for your sole source of answers, or do you refer to church literature to get your answers? Are people allowed to ask any question they want about the topic your studying?

Once a week a meeting is held to study a selected WT publication in a small group. A group of paragraphs is pre-selected for all in the WT organization to be on the same page so to speak. A few scriptures are looked up but mostly the WT doctrine is discussed.

Once a week a meeting is held to teach people to be public speakers. A side article from the WT is discussed by an elder, some capable some not, some pre-selected Bible scriptures are supposed to be discussed but few pre-study for it, 3 talks are given by pre-selected JWs, with a few scriptures thrown in but again WT doctrine is the goal. Then 45 minutes is spent on teaching JWs how to promote the publications to the public.

Once a week a public talk is given on varying "Bible" topics, actually the WTS doctrine is promoted; then a study of the pre-selected WT material follows.

How many wish you could just walk away? 99.9% of us

Just walk out the door, put up your hands to the sky and yell, " Free, Thank God, I'm free at last". and head on down the road. ( Kind of what I did when I was 18 and left our abusive home)

If you are still active in the organization, attend services, etc, yet would really like to be able to leave the organization. What is the main reason you stay in?

Family

How does that effect your inner self as far as having to suppress your true feelings and just sit in services like a good dutiful, obedient JW?

It is hard but eventually circumstances change or it gets so bad that even family isn't a good enough reason. Many of us have left and maintain some contact with family. It differs with each situation.

Sorry for all the questions. I got the impression by some posts that the main reason some people won't leave is because of the real possibility of being shunned by family members. I can see how that would be an affective control tool. Do you think the organization knows very well that will cause some people to think twice before deciding to leave?

Yes, DFing did not really get into full swing until 1950.

My sisters greatest desire for her children is that they grow up to be good obedient, faithful, JW's

• blondie
    blondie

Correction: Of those still in who post here, 99.9% would like to walk away.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Count one here! I walked as a JW youth of 14.5. Never regreted it. Got the DF letter in the mail and had a major party!

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit