Martial Arts

by Noumenon 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Has anyone heard of a JW being disfellowshipped for taking up Martial Arts? I know it's not allowed for JW's.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

nope. but i dont think it is a manditory dfing offense. I believe it is the kind where they take your "privilages". Considering that is not much of a threat i wonder why more jws dont do martial arts.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A Martial artist would be stripped of his privileges.
    If he promoted it in any way (especially by performing it in public (e.g. a Professional Boxer)) he would be DF'ed.

Pay Attention Unit 5 (b) p.140, 141

It is not in harmony with the spirit of 1 Corinthians 13: 4-
    7 or Isaiah 2:4 for a Christian to learn karate, judo, or
    other martial arts. (Compare John 13:35; g75 12/8
    pp. 28-9.)

A brother would be disqualified as an elder, a ministerial
    servant, or a pioneer if he took up the study of such
    martial arts and practiced them.

A person publicly advocating such could be dealt with in
    line with 2 Thessalonians 3:13-15.

As in the case of a person who takes up professional
    boxing and continues in such a course, he would be
    expelled from the congregation. (w81 7/1 PP. 30-1)

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

But we already know their is at least 1 JW boxer.

• Valis
    Valis

By keeping clear of practices and beliefs that are rooted in false religion, we may look forward to God's blessing of a righteous new system of things in which we can enjoy perfect health in body and mind for an eternity.?2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:3, 4.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2002/8/1a/article_01.htm

Those silly Shao Lin priests won't be karate choppin thier way into paradise that's fo sho!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

you know, valis, i really enjoyed reading that link. very refreshing to my soul. i might just pop along to a meeting now.

i always used to laugh when i was a kid, 'cos i recognised then that if an article started off with a question, i always knew they were condemning something.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Anyone noticed the promoted activites in the picture like organized sports instead of yoga. It is funny how jws have a heirarchy of acceptable activities.

One thing is that yoga allows you to do super human stunts. SO demons must be involved. THe problem is normal people that have never taken yoga can do these things. I mean thats like saying gymnastics is not for christians because it allows people to engage in super human feats suck as doing back flips on a wooden beam with out falling.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    One thing is that yoga allows you to do super human stunts. SO demons must be involved.

well, it's a black and white WT world isn't it?

• josephus
    josephus

i am out a goodly while but i was counseled for ju jitsu as a teen.

im now enjoying mixed martial arts like the ultimate fighting championship (ie no holds barred.)

i was attacked recently by a kid with a knife and instead of dieing i kicked him in the stomach till he ran away.

so glad i ignored those idiots

josephus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit