Amazing What About Molesters vs Pubs?

by Pork Chop 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Amazing, you've aroused my curiosity on this issue, numerically speaking that is. I was just thinking about the number of publishers in the nine congregations I've been in versus the number of molesters. For me it works out about 780 */- 10 publishes and two molesters. Can you provide the approximate number of publishers in the group that produced the molesters you are listing?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

PorkChop,

You got to be totally nuts to believe in that crap.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Fred, what I believe is that out of the nine congregations I've been in, with about 780 publishers, there were two molesters. That's it. I can't vouch for what anyone else says, but then I can't say they're not telling the truth either. Some of the numbers I've seen seem a little high, and there also seems to be considerable variance in the basis for the statements. I'm also curios about what definition people are using. But then, this is not a scientific discussion is it?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If anyone wants some info on sexual abuse check out my website. There are few articles there concerning the subject - not related to JWs - just in general

The poll that was taken is a rather crude tool - and not scientific - it is simply a count. What is surprising is that so many reported that they did know of molesters in the congregations - even I am surprised and I shouldn't be since I reported 7 in the poll. But consider too that the 7 reported span a period of over 30 years but only 2 congregations. Also although I was an elder's wife I did not get any of this info from him. He was rather tight-lipped about committee meetings. My knowledge comes from either personal experience or the victim's disclosing to me personal and one of the first cases I knew of was suspected by me 30 years ago and then it hit the papers about 15 years after they left our congregation.

Does it exist? - most definitely.
    Do the elders know how to deal with it? Not at all.
    Do the elders cover it up? Yes - in every one of the cases I reported.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Lady Lee brings out a good point.

While I appreciate Amazing's poll on known molesters, one problem with the poll is that it doesn't take into account the span of years the participants had been Witnesses. Nor the number of congregations each participant had been in.

A person who was a witness for 3 years, spending his/her time in just one congregation may never have known of a pedophile being in the congregations, while someone who's been around for 40 years (and in several congs) may have known of several.

And vice versa. A child may have been molested from the age of 3, so naturally that person will always be able to count at least 1 pedophile in their count, regardless of how many years they were a Witness. And someone who was raised and died a Witness, may not have known of such a thing occuring in JWdom.

It's just a case of perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit