Anyone here work for an HR department anywhere and do hiring?

by neverthere 3 Replies latest jw friends

• neverthere
    neverthere

Hey, no I am not looking for a job, just some advice. I have found a job that I really want to apply for but I don't have all the qualifications, but I do have almost all of them.

Have you ever hired someone without all the required qualifications and if so what made them stand out?

Thanks!

Diana

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Well it depends on how "close" you are to the qualifications and the nature of the job.

But let me say this. On the interview the idea is the YOU are going to make you bosses life easier. YOU are the sort that doesn't have to have someone come behind to finish the job.

That can make up for an awful lot from the bosses point of view.

Good luck

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Diana:

A couple of questions that might help

Do you have a job now? If so, is the job you are interested in with the same company you currently work for?

What type of position is it?

What are the qualifications they are asking for and, out of those, which ones do you possess?

How many others are out there with these qualifications they are asking for?

Most companies will have a core set of qualifications for each position, those which you absolutely have to have in order to be able to function properly in the position. They also have a listing of "traits" that they want to see in any employee they might hire into any position with their company.

Many times those "must haves" are technical skills such as the ability to use a specific software program or experience in another technical area such as electrical etc. The other skills they are very interested in can be the "soft" skills such as a strong attention to detail or a solid customer service belief system.

Many times, job listings are quite broad and it can be a bit harder to figure out just what they are looking for. For example, a company might have a listing for someone with customer service experience and Word and Excel skills. At first blush one might not be able to tell just how much of the Word and Excel programs they would have to have a thorough working knowledge of. Many times the advanced functions of those programs are not used and a solid knowledge of the basic skills would be sufficient for this position. So if someone had a great deal of experience in customer service yet don't know ALL of Word and Excel, I would still hire them. And because "customer service" can encompass so much of what we do, it's a skill that you can demonstrate in an interview once you get the chance.

Maybe I can help if I know more about what type of position it is and more specifcs. It's what I've been doing for a living for over 20 years.

XW

• anew
    anew

I just hired someone today who has very little qualifacations for the position. I used to work with her and I know her loyalty, work ethic and ambition.

My boss did not know me. I was not qualified for the position I am in. He has made an effort to train and coach me. He says that I came to him with enthusiasm and a positive outlook.

I believe in a lot of cases that attitude is EVERYTHING. There are those who would not agree with me. But that is my policy and my companies policy.

So there is my two cents. GO FOR IT!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit