Does the WT believe in theistic evolution?

by Dogpatch 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

This was emailed to me, thought it was interesting. But I don't think it really represents a CHANGE in their line of thinking recently, and their reasoning is still poor. --Randy

The Watchtower Society now endorses Theistic Evolutionists [Francis Collins, Wallace Pratt]

on its official website and publications.

www.Watchtower.org.

Theistic Evolutionist Francis Collins

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2002/6/8/article_01.htm

Jehovah?s Witnesses Reconciling Science and Religion

"Science and religion [are] no longer seen as incompatible."? The Daily Telegraph,

• Gopher
    Gopher

No, the WTS does not teach theistic evolution just because it quoted someone who believes in it. Their quote of Francis Collins cites him as a molecular biologist. They took from him the part that they wanted, to support their ideas about creation. The quote doesn't say Collins believes God directly created everything. It only says he is in awe of God.

"Science and religion [are] no longer seen as incompatible."? The Daily Telegraph, London, May 26, 1999.

BOTH science and religion, in their noblest forms, involve the search for truth. Science discovers a world of magnificent order, a universe that contains distinctive marks of intelligent design. True religion makes these discoveries meaningful by teaching that the mind of the Creator lies behind the design manifest in the physical world.

"I find my appreciation of science is greatly enriched by religion," says Francis Collins, a molecular biologist. He continues: "When I discover something about the human genome, I experience a sense of awe at the mystery of life, and say to myself, 'Wow, only God knew before.' It is a profoundly beautiful and moving sensation, which helps me appreciate God and makes science even more rewarding for me."

What will help one to reconcile science and religion?

• Mary
    Mary

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what the hell is theistic evolution?

• Neo
    Neo

Maybe that will help:

Neo

(my first thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/76140/1.ashx )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit