'The Village' (dont read if you havent seen it)

by ApagaLaLuz 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Okay I promise I wont be a schmuck and give away ALL of the twists, not that they're not obvious. Have any of you seen this movie yet?

Man, I saw some striking similarities to DUB life. Like especially their 'courting' style of just getting to know one another, then 'announcing intentions', and the entire villiage soon knowing about it and being a buz with the information. Also the Elders, and the way they kept the villiage in the dark, so to speak, so as to 'protect' them from the 'towns' aka the world. A complete trust and obedience ruled by fear and guilt. Just as when one person felt so guilty about traveling past the boarder of the woods they wrote a letter to the entire town confessing.

I figured out all but one twist early on in the movie. My friends never did (not really sure how) and wondered how I could have caught on so quickly. To which I responded 'when you grow up in a cult and spend a great deal of your adult life studying about cults, it pretty much makes them easy to spot.'

Hope I didnt ruin too much for anyone. What did you think of it?

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

This was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the previews. I haven't seen it yet, but I definitely will now. Thanks for not spoiling it!

• New Castles
    New Castles

yes i know exactly what you mean, i saw it too...

i liked the movie though

• catchthis
    catchthis

I've seen it twice now and have noticed the same reaction from others leaving the theater ------

The previews make you believe that you will be seeing the horror flick of the year. But once you see the film, you find that the typical "blood and guts" horror genre isn't there. People that go to see this film and expect a typical horror shock and awe screamer will think the movie "sucks" and will not recommend it. Folks that go for the entertainment factor and the movie making genius of Night tend to like the flick.

The people who walk out saying, "I thought the monsters sucked...where was the blood and gore...blah blah blah..." are the ones that do not like it.

• Badger
    Badger

Terror is seeing a bomb go off. Horror is seeing what happens after it. Suspense is seeing the bomb before it goes off.

--Alfred Hitchcock

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Alfred was the bomb, baby!

• FMZ
    FMZ

I haven't seen it yet either, though I accidentally came across one twist in another thread. I just wanted to put my tuppence in and say that M. Night Shyamalan truly is a directorial genius, and one of the best writers ever to have graced the big screen.

FMZ

• dubla
    dubla

spoilers below.......

-

-

-

-

-

according to many of the reviews ive read (and reportedly an interview with m.night, though i havent read it), the movie is actually meant to be a political statement (anti-bush administration). he means to make a point about "post 9-11 isolationism", and using fear to control the masses (with invented or exaggerated threats) while simulataneously taking away freedoms. a few tie-ins: the significance of colors in the movie (terror alerts?), with red being the "bad color"....."those we dont speak of" (weapons of mass destruction? terrorist threats?).....and a pretty obvious one, the name of the town leader, walker (a certain presidents middle name).

personally, i thought the movie was awful, and not because of the lack of gore (as one poster suggested may be the case) or the political statement behind it.........but because i had a really hard time staying awake through it. its just flat out boring for the most part. the dialogue was absolutely painful, the pace was plodding, and shyalmalan is obviously a one trick pony (twist endings are a requisite, and now can be simply looked for the entire movie....although i didnt figure them out). aside from those points, there are some pretty glaring plot holes (the village idiot not only finds a hidden moster suit in the floor boards, but also figures out that ivy is deep in the woods, and decides to go chase her around while wearing it? seriously??......not to mention, with a secret that important, wouldnt they be a little more careful hiding the evidence?). it all adds up to his first real stinker, imo, and i am a huge fan of his other three movies. i wont be visiting the village again.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit