Children as great door openers???

by Wild_Thing 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I finally got my JW sister out of my house today ... for good. She has been living/loafing/freeloading in my house for a full year now. The rest of my JW family came to help her move. An elder and his wife from the local congregation came and helped her move, too.

While they were there, they engaged in the usual JW bullsh*t conversations. The elder's wife was talking about the latest circuit overseer visit and saying how wonderful it is that he liked children. She said he wanted children to accompany him in going door-to-door, and she mentioned that is often unusual in circuit overseers. She said the circuit overseer said he wanted children going door-to-door with him because they are "great door openers". My stomach turned. I guess that's what that nice circuit overseer thought of me too, when I was a kid.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

I know, kids are great ice breakers and only the hardest people will refuse a tract from a cute little kid.

• blondie
    blondie

Being a kid growing up in the JW world, I can tell you that it can backfire. I can remember several occasions, my mother or another adult JW I was with was berated for dragging children around and having them parrot words. I can remember one woman questioning one little sister on some basic things of the Bible, like who were David and Goliath, what was Jesus' mother's name, how many apostles there were. The little sister (not me) hadn't a clue. The woman suggested that the sister go home and teach her child first.

One of the things my non-JW relatives found repulsive were the canned presentations that JW children said at the door. They seemed brainwashed to them.

It's one thing to get the door open, another to keep it open.

Most COs avoid children like the plague. They concentrate only on the elders, MS, and regular pioneers, and any "influential" JWs.

Blondie

• Sirona
    Sirona

Wild Thing

Glad you got that home situation sorted out! Good for you.

As for the C.O. - any adult who seems to want to be with kids all the time (stranger's kids) would make me suspicious. Maybe he is just sick of door-to-door preaching with the adults though,

Sirona

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Sirona-

As for the C.O. - any adult who seems to want to be with kids all the time (stranger's kids) would make me suspicious.

I was thinking the same thing..

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think that children also make great antennas. When the rabbit ears on my old TV failed, I convinced my teenage daughter to stand by the TV so we all could enjoy better reception.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit