Deceptive Reasoning and Jehovahs Witnesses. Is It Lying?

by shamus 3 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

Is deceptive reasoning lying?

A good example is how they answer questions.

Q: Is everyone who is not a Jehovahs Witness bird food going to die at armageddon?

A: Many people who were not Jehovahs Witnesses who didn't know any better in early times will no doubt be resurrected. (then they go on, bla bla bla)

There are hundreds more examples of tough questions, and deceptive answers. Feel free to add, but my question is, is deceptive reasoning lying? If so, is it possible to prove this?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

WT May 1st 2002

?Jehovah Hates The Course of Treachery?

10. Are we personally alert, so that no unrighteousness is found on our lips? For example, can our family members really trust what we say? Can our spiritual brothers and sisters in the congregation do the same? It would be easy to develop the habit of couching one?s words in terms that are technically accurate but misleading.

I guess since this is a religion, members are subject to what it teaches. Truth can be backed by facts and data. It is easy to prove 1+1=2, but if the WTBS decided it =3 the members would have to abide by the subjective truth. ??

Personally, I call it a lie. Legally, I don't know.

• gumby
    gumby

Good one Elsewhere!

Everyone on the planet holds back complete truth at times. It's done in all sales, ....and.... in our responses to each other. We have to do it to show respect and kindness sometimes to others to not hurt their feelings. In sales....if we told every detail we knew about a product.....we might not sell anything. For example....we might say...."if you had any idea how much money this company is making on you.....you'd die", you prolly wouldn't be a good salesman.

However, to not be honest in all details regarding spirituality you share with another is a more serious matter in my book.......so yes......it's a lie for the WTBTS to do what they do in the MANNER in which they do it.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit