Shooting at the park

by Netty 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Netty
    Netty

Well, I know I dont post often, but still am very active reading all your posts for the last several months. I had an incident happen yesterday that I just want to share, it scares me to death thinking about it. I took my two year, my six year old, and a nine year old neighbor boy that my son had been playing with, to the park right down the street to play. I had been sitting on the bench, talking to my neighbor who was there with her 4 kids (all aged 5 and under) then I got up and went over to the big slide to watch my baby girl (who should have been ont the baby slide but she is very risky/acrobatic/fearless). The next thing I know here comes the neighbor lady all 4 kids in tow running and telling me to hurry up and get my kids and get out of there. She said something was happening, there was a fight going on. There had been a birthday party going on, and it seemed all the parents at the party were young parents, 18-20 ish. And sure thing I looked over and saw about 20 people from the party, gathered around in a cirlce yelling. The neighbor asked if I thought she was over reacting, I said absolutley not I agree lets round up the kids and get out of here, I tried to get my daughter to come down, she wouldnt, so I had to climb up the jungle gym to go get her, rounded up my son and the neighbor boy, went back to the bench to grab my keys, while the neighbor waited with my kids. As soon as I ran back to them I heard BANG BANG BANG, (from not even 20 feet away).

This part is the hardest, I just felt like I was frozen, I couldnt move fast enough, everything was happening in slow motion. The neighbor and I tried to decide where to run to, between us 7 children to protect. First we went to a trash barrell, everyone wasnt protected there, then behind a tree, and then finally we spotted a concrete table. We threw the children under the table (My knees are so scarred up, because I went down to my knees to hover over the kids). Then, I am not sure what our reasoning was from here, now I look back and am sure we were in a panic, we dont even live one block from the park, so we decided to run home.

The rest is a blur, we made it home and everyone is ok. But the part of this right now that just haunts me is how my six year old reacted. After we heard the shots, he started screaming at the top of his lungs "theyre trying to kill us, were going to die", and hyperventillating. My heart is just so broken right now, and I know I should forget it and not think about it, but that is just the worst thing I have ever had to deal with as a mother, to hear my baby panicking and screaming for (what he thought was) his life. He did this as we ran home, and for at least a two hours after we got home. I kept telling him everything was ok, and reassuring him, but its hard when your only training in life is to say "lets pray to Jehovah" or "things like this wont happen in the new system". I just didnt know exactly what to say to make him feel better.

I debated whether to call my own mother (looking for reassurance, yet knowing she would easily make this a way to be about "come back to Jehovah") I went ahead and called her, and I just dont feel better (I knew it) She told me a story of how they were at the hospital when my brother had his motorcyle accident (refused blood, went into comas, was close to being pronounced dead a few times) and there had been a gang shooting, both victims were at the same hospital. The gangs came into retaliate, and a gang member who obviously had a gun, started "questioning" my father to determine if he was a relative of the rival gang member who had been shot. So of course, my father started witnessing to him about why they were there. And all of a sudden where the gang member had been so enraged, kept his hand by his pocket like he was ready to shoot, his demeanor changed, he calmed down, and told my dad that his mother had studied and went to meetings for two years, those had been the happiest years of his life, and he left my parents alone. RIGHT! give me a break

sorry to rant.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What happened to the ppl involved in the disturbance at the park? Did the police come and arrest anyone? Was it reported in the paper? Glad no one was hurt, but so sad how the children have prolly been scarred and will not feel safe playing in the neighborhood for some time...

• sf
    sf

Wow. What an incredible day. Glad you ALL are okay, physically.

Pehaps after things calm down a bit, you can talk to your kids to see how they are NOW feeling.

They might have some residual effects such as nightmares and fear going to that park anymore.

Try going online somewhere for some mental and emotional support of children who witness violence and talk to someone.

{{{ hugs of comfort }}}

sKally

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Netty,

Those idiots! I am so sorry to hear what you and your kids have gone through. I am hoping this incident does not leave a scar on your poor baby's mind. Praying for his healing.

As far as the story about the gang member, that sounded too freaky, I am surprised he did not break out into a West Side Story dance.

Welcome from out of lurkyville and keep posting :-)

PB

• orbison11
    orbison11

greetings

i have been through similar things, and i definately would look into PTSD on the net for yourself and the children, and if possible, get the kiddies to counselling, if they are showing signs of ptsd.

wendy

• Netty
    Netty

liolaia- as we were running down the street we heard sirens, thats how fast the cops got there. The police came to my house, (my husband is a deputy, heard it all on the radio, and asked his deputy friends to bring my childrens bike/scooter home as we had left it all there in the panic, part of my sons panic, wha was going to happen to his scooter?) my neighbor gave the description of the vehicle and people she saw, which makes me wonder where in the world my head was, because I had absolutly no description of anything. The deputy said her description fit what others at the park had seen. Per my husband, as of last night, they had not found anyone, people or vehicle, fitting the description.

thank you sf, Liolaia and pinned! and too funny about west side story. It always gets me how witnesses they have these stories to tell about how a MURDERERS rage turns off as soon as the name of "Jehovah" is mentioned...

• Been there
    Been there

Netty (((Hug)))

That was something I would have frozen over also.

Hard as it maybe it may be a good idea to take the kids back to the park and let them play again real soon. You have probably been there many times in the past with no problems so I think it is good for a six year old to see that it was (hopefully) a one time thing. If he is afraid to go let him know you are too, but you will do it together because you don't want one bad thing to ruin yours or his fun in life. A lot of his stress may have come from you (understandably) to a six year old if an adult is scared it must be bad. Show him how to face his fear, concour it and go on with his fun. You both will have a sence of empowerment and braveness.

Shame on those people! Idiots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit