"Where scriptural matters are not involved"

by Wild_Thing 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

When I was reading that article on "Beware of the Voice of Strangers" (Sept 1, 2004 WT) I couldn't help but notice the last few paragraphs of the preceding article. In the last paragraph, it says:

"Although our views on matters where scriptural principles are not involved may vary somewhat, in matters of worship, we act in complete unison."

This doesn't make sense to me. From what I remember when I was a JW, spriritual principles were to be considered in EVERYTHING! So, when exactly would they allow their views to vary? I don't get it! The claim that they allow views to vary at all really throws me! My whole family is still in the thick of it and I don't see that at all!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

so this was in the context of global witnesses ?

that is a surprising comment to me as well.. i bet you wont see that sentence anywhere in the old united in worship book.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Scriptural principles aren't involved in issues like what color you paint your house or what you eat for dinner (as long as it doesn't have blood). On everything else, though, you have to be "unified".

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

They mean things you can get away with at some halls that you cant in others. They had a whole assembly talk on it.

Basicaly how to react to halls that have additional rules such as "dry halls". THey actually had a couple decide to drink privately instead of ordering alcoholic beverages while at a resturant with the friends. The odd part of the demo was the couple argued that they we absolutely correct in being able to drink alcohol with a meal, but they ended up rationalizing not to rock the boat. The rationalizations were funny such as maybe the hall has a problem with alcoholism, or that the friends at the table were recovering alcoholics.

Notice the new psychology the person giving up freedom is a free of any wrong doing and could scripturally defend their rights. While the person taking their rights is guilty of sin and is imposing their own private problem on the entire group. Instead of them coping with their problem them selves they punish the innocent person.

• FairMind
    FairMind

This is a perfect example of the logic used in WT articles that first caused me to have doubts. It allows them (WT) to go any direction they want even if the end result is in complete contradiction with God's word. The end result is always more control for the WTS and less individual freedom for the rank and file. It is a mystery to me that people who are otherwise intelligent can be so stupid so as to not see through this balony.

FM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit