How many trees are felled/how much paper used for magazines?

by badboy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

only wondered!

• hoodwinked
    hoodwinked

Great point badboy! If the Borg weren't so petrified of the "modern media" and preached their propaganda via television, radio or the EVIL INTARDNET they would certainly be saving a hell of a lot of forests!

Then again they prolly don't give a flyin' f%#k because we're all gonna die, and they'll have plenty of trees for the 6 million that remain.

• kls
    kls

I asked that same question years ago to my jw husband , his answer is that they use only recycled paper. Ya , sure.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Even one Sapling is far to much to waste for such rubbish......I wonder if they even bother using recycled paper??? Then again, why should they worry about the environment, when all they have to do is leave it in Jebootie's hands......

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I remeber there was a Letter in one Awake! where someone asked and they replied they cannot get the amount and quality of recycled paper for their printing.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Trees are not typically displaced to make paper. The vast majority of the paper that is used for reading (newspapers, books, magazines, etc.) is farmed for that purpose. It?s just like any crop that we would create by planting and harvesting. I work for a company that relies heavily on paper (a company you would quickly recognize) and several years ago I looked into issue, as I was concerned too that we would run out of trees and have no paper and I?d be looking for a job. But alas, no worries mate. It?s all farmed. There are millions of acres of planted trees now growing in forest crops that have the sole purpose of being used for paper. They can grow a tree now in just seven years, which can be cut down and used for paper. They immediately plant another tree in its place.

Sadly, I don?t see the Watchtower Society running out of paper to print it?s rubbish on in the foreseeable future.

• avengers
  • badboy
    badboy

Good WT cover,that!

• blondie
    blondie

Trees are not typically displaced to make paper. The vast majority of the paper that is used for reading (newspapers, books, magazines, etc.) is farmed for that purpose. It?s just like any crop that we would create by planting and harvesting. I work for a company that relies heavily on paper (a company you would quickly recognize) and several years ago I looked into issue, as I was concerned too that we would run out of trees and have no paper and I?d be looking for a job. But alas, no worries mate. It?s all farmed. There are millions of acres of planted trees now growing in forest crops that have the sole purpose of being used for paper. They can grow a tree now in just seven years, which can be cut down and used for paper. They immediately plant another tree in its place.

Good point, Steve.

Actually, the trees in the rainforest are being cut down not so much for lumber as to create new farmland. Unfortunately, the soil is rather poor and does not sustain continuous cropping.

If I remember correctly, the largest use of lumber is in construction, home construction. In many lands, they are being deforested by people using wood for fuel to cook their food and/or keep warm. I saw a project teaching people how to set up a solar device to cook instead.

What is most destructive is not the paper the WTS uses but what they put on it.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit