Jungle Fever in the BORG

by Black Man 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

Post Title - Jungle Fever in the BORG or Inter-racial Relationship Dynamics in the BORG.

Back in the the day inter-racial relationships were frowned on, especially if you wanted to advance spiritually (climb the corporate ladder). I remember at Bethel a few of the Brothers in Service Department used to always tell brothers that it would be beneficial to marry in their own race if they wanted to be used in the Circuit work. The premise was that the Society is not biased but rather the WORLD is and to avoid conflict, they only prefer to use couples of the same race. I later knew of an inter-racial couple in the circuit work but their ascension into the work was always attributed to the fact that they were good politicians and campaigned their way into it.

Now, if you just wanted to make Bethel a lifelong career many encouraged one to look for something outside of their race. A hot commodity for many brothers were the spanish sisters or either sisters from various island locales. Many of them were FINE and were just looking for an opportunity to get into the House of God. They really didn't care who they dated as long as they got in the house. Many of your corporate up-and-comers (who were absolutely SHELTERED NERDLINGS of all colors) saw the opportunity, dated and married many of these sisters. Thus what was born was the revolutionary NERD MOVEMENT. It was a badge of honor for various Bethel dorks and nerds to find some sister of a different race and have them as a trophy girl. The sisters were caught up in the power-trip of it all. There was this sister at my hall who married a up and coming Bethel nerd and they were so estatic. You would of thought that she married a multi-millionaire basketball player or something the way her family and the congreation fawned over this nerdy-ass bethelite. Other Bethelites would straight-up covet the trophy girl (another thread for another time), old-timers would say that it was a simply a sign of a blessing from Jehovah, while new-boy Bethelites would be WHAT DA' FUCK?

Imagine Halle Berry with Pee Wee Herman or Pamela Anderson with Urkel. That's the type of disparity (outer appearance at least) that you would have. Many of these sisters had a hard time especially in their first year or two. I worked with a few sisters in the Homes (Maintenance & Home Housekeeping) while the Pressroom was shut down one summer and I think I doubled as a shrink. The ones who had married for the power trip were soon dissatisfied over everything ranging from their husband's performance in bed to not wanting to dance or be a social butterfly. They would tell me how they wish they could get pregnant so that they could just leave. Others just kind of relegated themselves to serving out their days enjoying the advancements of their husbands up the corporate ladder and taking whatever spotlight that they could get from that.

• LDH
    LDH

I know three 'trophy wives' personally.

I almost fell for this one myself, and sad to say if he hadn't revealed himself as a true Mama's boy, I would have fallen for it.

He told me 'his mother didn't approve of him dating and considering marriage to an older woman but he was going to try to figure it all out so we could be together.' I was 6 months older than him. That was the last I saw of him, although we had been seeing each other for some time.

More disturbing though, a black sister I grew up with recently (3 ys ago) married a white bro. in the cong I'm from, and he was counseled SEVERAL times before the wedding that there were many 'white sisters who had been looking for a good man.' He was told the same line about he shouldn't stumble worldly ones.

Oddly enough, when the sister told me, I was outraged and demand that she do something about it. She said they 'decided to wait on Jehovah.'

True story, I bet bjc2012 would know who I meant if I posted it here.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Does this only apply to blacks and whites interracial marriages? We had a CO, in 1974, who was Chinese, married to a white gal. They had been in the work awhile when we had them too. Maybe that mix didn't matter the GB.

• Hojon
    Hojon
    who were absolutely SHELTERED NERDLINGS of all colors

LOL! That's the perfect phrase. A friend of mine in the hall was one of these, he was ultra dorky and would always take trips to Bethel. Not sure if he ever married, I bailed out while we were about 19-20 and he was single then.

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

In NE Ohio, where I grew up, it was pretty commonplace in the 80s & 90s to see interracial relationships, especially at the district conventions. I myself dated a few black brothers when I was younger, and the only counsel offered was that we might encounter prejudice from "the World." Of course, this is Akron/Cleveland we're talking about, where whites are quickly becoming the minority, so it was never a really big deal.

(To be honest, I dated outside of my race for attention. I'm ashamed to admit it, but that's the truth.)

"I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul."

• bwoga
    bwoga

It is so common to see this in the org......I am biracial and can pass for white....while I was somewhat involved with a black brother he was harassed by the elders.....his conduct was unbecoming of a pioneer...he couldn't be appointed ms, and the list goes on...I even remember being "pulled over" by an elder at a District Convention one year while we were cruising the hallways and he asked my friend for his identification....they felt he had been lying about his age...it was crazy and then one day they found out I was black and they suddenly left us alone......go figure! Some of the most prejudiced people I ever met were JW's....elders included...

• Flip
    Flip
    ...I even remember being "pulled over" by an elder at a District Convention one year while we were cruising the hallways and he asked my friend for his identification....they felt he had been lying about his age...

Hi bwoga, insightful post.

If you have time could you please clarify your quote above? I didn’t get the part about age and identification. What’s that all about?

Flip

• Black Man
    Black Man

Mulan said: Does this only apply to blacks and whites interracial marriages? We had a CO, in 1974, who was Chinese, married to a white gal. They had been in the work awhile when we had them too. Maybe that mix didn't matter the GB.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    It was mainly applicable to Blacks and Whites. They were a little more open-minded when it came to oriental mixed marriages.

Bwoga said: Some of the most prejudiced people I ever met were JW's....elders included...

Yes, indeed sweetie.........

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey LDH:

[quote}He told me 'his mother didn't approve of him dating and considering marriage to an older woman but he was going to try to figure it all out so we could be together.' I was 6 months older than him. That was the last I saw of him, although we had been seeing each other for some time.[/quote]

Lisa, I think this guy just didn't want to take the plunge, sweetie. Sounds like he was scared as a mofo.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit