The "Theocratic" View

by Jigrigger 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

How many of you ex-JWs can recall a particular instance during your life as a JW when you or someone you know had a mini crisis of conscience over what you now, upon reflection, consider to be the most trivial or petty in nature?

I've got a good one for you. I remember my mom and one of my aunts engaged in a very serious debate about whether they should feed a freshly caught mouse to the cat because it hadn't been properly bled!!!

I recently told this to my youngest sister and she just positively ROARED!
    She's been out of the org for years now but can still recall how petty one becomes if they are to be considered a "good" JW.

Does anyone else have similar instances to relate?

Jigrigger

• JW72
    JW72

Yeh, not sucking your finger if u accidently pricked it!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, IT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!!!!!

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Tesha
    Tesha

Being raised in an insanely strict JW family, we were not allowed to watch television or listen to the radio. I can still recall the one hour lecture I received from mum because I knew the words to a "worldly" song. What can I say? I was an evil child begging satan to enter my heart.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Hi Tesha and Welcome to the group.

I'm sorry to hear that your family was so very strict. It must have been extremely tough growing up. I had a very emotionally and physically abusive mother, although we were permitted tv and radio, on a limited basis. Looking forward to further posts from you. You will find understanding, compassion and encouragement here. :)

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

Have I got one for you!!!

When I was 13, I finally started my menstrual cycle. (Sorry if that grosses anyone out.) Anyway, I was so happy that I was like the other girls I went to school with that I wanted to celebrate. ( Ho stupid was I?) My mom thought it was a good idea, so she took me out shopping, to the movies, and out for dinner. The next day, Sunday, my mom was telling another sister about "the miracle" the day before. She told the sister that we celebrated, and the sister scolded my mother for doing that and brought it to the attention of the elders. She thought it was wrong to celebrate because it the old testament, a woman was pronounced unclean for the duration of her cycle, and her husband was not allowed to touch her, so celebrating something "unclean" was wrong in her eyes!! The elders met with my mother only to explain the situation, and to repremand her for nearly stumbling her sister. [8>] Isn't that like the stupidest thing ever?
    My regards,
    Joanne

• comment
    comment

Haircut. Suit. Physical exercise. Record collection. Doing anything (totally innocent) with worldly kids.

These were a few of the matters "kindly brought to my attention" by "mature ones" attempting to "readjust my thinking" in a "Theocratic manner."

comment

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

LMAO!!
    I can remember all the small crisis of conscience matters. Try an arguement with a ms because he was inviting me and my sister, with parental consent, to go see "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" with his wife.
    Or the crisis of conscience I had when another sister was wearing a miniskirt in school...Oh yes, I had to run and tattletale to my mother. My mother called up her's and said that it was inappropriate clothing. (what my mother was corrected upon by that sister was that her daughter had her menstral cycle and had an accident, forcing her to wear a skirt that an associate had available).. I felt like a putz.
    Or the multiple times that I cheated on my time sheets.. or the multiple times that I failed to study for the meetings...
    Silly guilt.

ofcmad

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/Dogma

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit