in their own words

by doogie 6 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

i just read and article from the watchtower.org site entitled "CAN I WORSHIP GOD IN MY OWN WAY?". i thought, "hey!, this is great. spiritual food at the proper time!"

well, i couldn't make it through the whole article (i guess it was a series of articles, but in any case...). i really did want to read them because i genuinely want to see how they arrive at the solutions/beliefs that they do. because of my perspective on things now, i just want to see them start from zero and prove their stance on an issue that i'm interested in as they would to someone who knew nothing of the org (this article in particuliar was from AWAKE, so i figured it would be a bit fluffier and more geared toward brand new 'recruits').

i was surprisingly disappointed.

now that i think of it, i see in almost every article basically the same blueprint (you all are probably way ahead of me and noticed this years ago. anyway...):

1. start with easily proveable 'facts'. although these are definitely hand-picked to forward an as-yet-unstated view and usually do not admit to contrasting 'facts'.

2. show how the situation involved is changing (i.e. for the article i just read, it talked about how society in general is turning away from organized religion).

3. they subtly start to allude that the change is for the worse.

and then, 4. the article makes an incomprehensible leap showing how the society is the answer.

yeah, i didn't really learn anything. i hate the words, "Certainly,..." or "Clearly,..." or "Thus,...". man, those are just leading words and they force the opinion as if it was undeniably true. i guess now that i'm out, i just feel more duped then ever.

that's funny...i sound surprised.

• avishai
    avishai
    yeah, i didn't really learn anything. i hate the words, "Certainly,..." or "Clearly,..." or "Thus,...". man, those are just leading words and they force the opinion as if it was undeniably true. i guess now that i'm out, i just feel more duped then ever.

Damn right! I hate those stupid words too, especially the way the dubs use them

• doogie
    doogie

my girlfriend hates the word "bladder". that's kind of for other reasons, but anyway...

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hey Avishai! I hope you don't hate all uses of the word "clearly"....

• Gopher
    Gopher

4. the article makes an incomprehensible leap showing how the society is the answer.

Or they might follow this outline:

4a. The destruction of 99.99% of mankind at Armageddon is the first part of the answer. Clearly getting rid of any who don't read the Watchtower and act on it is necessary!!

4b. Once this system is gone and Jehovah rules the new world using the Watchtower Society as His agent, then everything will be wonderful. Trust them! (But don't trust earthling man in whom no salvation belongs.)

• doogie
    doogie

i just wonder how new ones get into the org. i just mean...well, i don't really 'wonder'. i understand that controlling statements truly can control people.

i was raised in it, so it doesn't really apply, but i'm just amazed that my father wasn't able to see through this "outline". he's one smart dude. but i guess that's not the point.

oh, what we'll do for the company of a lady...

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I want just one article to end in a way I didn't expect. Like "Can you worship God in your own way", the finishing sentence could say "In summary we've learned that worshipping God in your own way can lead to tooth decay, worshipping Jesus in your own way leads to herpes and through not reading the Watchtower and Awake! along with it's accompanying literature will lead to heavy drug use and prostituting" Ok well the last part actually was said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit