jehovah is not used in the New testament?

by def 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• def
    def

Iam confused about the name. Is it only used in the old testament. Why does the NWT have it in the new testament if its not actually in the original writings?

• JH
  • Mulan
    Mulan

I believe there is an explanation in the Divine Name brochure. I remember getting in trouble with two elders for telling one of my nieces that the name doesn't appear in the NT, and asked me if it was true that I had told her that. They wanted to know why I would have said such a thing. I was kind of perplexed about it all. You should have seen their faces when I said "I thought everyone knew that" and pulled out the brochure. They literally didn't know it. I was on my way out at the time, so didn't care what they said to me. It was kind of fun.

• Nacoma
    Nacoma

Jehovah in the original was not even in the Old testament as it was never a word till 1533 there was no lettter J till the early 15th centry. And it was never in the New Testament as it was not a Greek word.

However theos Greek for God was Used in the New Testament . By the way this is the same word used in Hebrews 1:8 referring to Jesus or the Son as theos God.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Considering "theos" as the greek word for god does not mean much. The greeks were polytheist. So being a god is not that special.

• hubert
    hubert

Because they want all worldly possible converts to believe that it is in the New Testament, as well as the Old, even though it isn't.

• joenobody
    joenobody

It's amazing that they even care considering how devoted they are to the Old Testament.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The rational offered to the public is that certain Jewish translations and commentaries felt emboldened enought to insert Yahweh into the text of the NT basicallyt where ever they desired, so they could too. The flawed logic of using Yahweh or Jehovah whenever the writer was quoting OT verses where the name appears in Hebrew texts is discussed in a couple threads a few days before this one. Here's one:Jesus Christ, Jehovah's Witnesses, and the J-Documents (split 2 for 1)2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit