Bible versions, Psalm 83:18, which one to buy?

by def 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• def
    def

I want to buy a new bible, NASB or NIV. My JW friend says that the translation is not correct if Psalm 83:18 left out the word jehovah. Is this correct? I heard NASB was the closest translation to the original text? thank you

• Scully
    Scully

Most Bible translations admit that when they use "LORD" in all caps like that, it is because the proper pronunciation of God's name is unknown. "Jehovah", is not the correct pronunciation, BTW. It is the anglicized pronunciation of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, YHWH or YHVH. "Yahweh" is generally accepted as correct, but many scholars believe that "Yehwah" is the proper translation.

Why not look at the variety of Bible translations for yourself before purchasing one? You can look at several at your local library or Christian bookstore and compare them for yourself.

Love, Scully

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

does it really matter?

after all, if there is a god who will give you his spirit to educate you, you cannot go wrong no matter what translation you use...

if there is no god, you will only be able to read your own experiences into the words no matter what words are used.

• blondie
    blondie

I like to compare 2 or 3 or more Bibles.

You can do this online at:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Def and welcome!

My JW friend says that the translation is not correct if Psalm 83:18 left out the word jehovah. Is this correct?

No. There is no reason (apart from the KJV tradition) why the divine name would be more necessary in Psalm 83:18(19) than anywhere else in the OT -- wherever the Tetragrammaton Yhwh occurs.

Unfortunately I cannot provide much useful information on English translations. As far as the Tetragrammaton is concerned (which is just one problem among many in the field of Bible translation) I guess consistency is the best feature. Any version consistently using Yhwh, Yahweh, Jehovah or even LORD/GOD in capitals (the capitals indicating the divine name being important, not the substitute word) is OK.

many scholars believe that "Yehwah" is the proper translation.
    Really? Which ones?
  • OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Though generally overlooked by Protestants, the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible is a very good translation, and uses "Yahweh" throughout the Old Testament, including Psalm 83:18.

Other good modern versions are the NASB and the ESV (English Standard Version), which use LORD for the Tetragrammation.

Frankly, anything used now is merely a substitute for the Divine Name YHWH, since no one knows how it was anciently pronounced. Or if they do know, they aren't telling.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg
    I want to buy a new bible, NASB or NIV. My JW friend says that the translation is not correct if Psalm 83:18 left out the word jehovah. Is this correct? I heard NASB was the closest translation to the original text? thank you

Def, he main issue is how the version was translated. The NIV is a thought for thought translation, ie. the translators attempt to take the original and bring it into modern equivelency.

The NASB, which I use, and is used by most scholarsd that I personally know, is a word for word translation, and is considered the most accurate English translation currently in use.

Whether or not the name "Jehovah" is used is of no consequence to me. That is simply a JW red herring. I would ask them why the NWT omits the insertion of "Jehovah" in Romans 10:9, 10 where Paul quoting from, I believe, Joel says that unless you believe in your heart that Jesus was resurrected, and confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord (if the NWT is consistent then they must put Jehovah here) when doing so would flatly refute their anti-trinitarian view?

Either translation has their good points and bad ones. There is no "correct" translation. I always recommend to new Christians to get the one they are the most able to read and understand.

LABD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit