Sports Illustrated 6/25/01

by DB 7 Replies latest jw friends

• DB
    DB

Sports Illustrated, in its June 25, 2001 issue on page 76, reports that Jerry Hairston of the Baltimore Orioles had been "baptized as a Jehovah's Witness" last July.

At times, according to the artcile, Hairston's passionate play on the field, charactarized by end-over-flips of his bat after strikeouts and exasperated shrugs during arguments with umpires, gives other players the impression of cockiness on his part. "Sometimes it might come off as something else. What can I say? I'm a passionate person."

The article mentions that after Hairston slammed his bat to the ground after popping out on a Roger Clemens fastball, he got a long staredown from Clemens. Later, Hairston had to get out of the way of a Clemens fastball that buzzed by his head.

"I meant no disrespect to Roger; he was one of my favorite players growing up" said Hairston. "Besides, how many times do other major league players [slam their bats]? Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neil?"

Hairston has excellent defensive range, the article mentions, but he "needs to show more restraint once he gets to the ball, rather than always attempting spectacular throws".

• Tina
    Tina

Hi db,
    Thanks for the info...interesting as Im going to see Balt play this weekend(only for ripkin of course lol)
    I'll kepp my binocs on hairston and see how he behaves lol...Cheers,Tina

psssssst BETHelMOle's the name

• joelbear
    joelbear

Just shows as with the Williams sisters that slapping a title on yourself, Jehovahs Witness, Christian, etc. etc. etc. is basically meaningless.

Groups smoops, its the way we treat others that is important. This type of anecdote shows that.

hugs

Joel

• orbison
    orbison

i am puzzled with all of this
    my children were not to participate in any sports events that involved competition, nor to bring glory to themselves, ah well must have been a different cong
    i guess "the truth" is different in different congs

• Tina
    Tina

Hi orbison,
    I agree! In 'my day' it was a big no-no. And a dub was expected to leave the sports arena or whatever.......(and Im speaking of the lowly r/f) now the wts practices situational ethics here.
    Look at the Michael jackson, williams girls,and now the cultist formerly known as prince. If one has fame and fortune it's a whole 'nother tune'.
    They probably get big bucks from these people and it's good PR for them.Regards,Tina

psssssst BETHelMOle's the name

• DB
    DB

Hey Tina and Orb, thanks for the comments! One reason I posted this is to show that, like Orbison said, the average JW is looked down upon if he/she partcipates in organized sports, and is strongly discouraged from doing so. And yet, we see the Williams girls playing pro tennis, and now Mr. Hairston playing pro ball and none of them are showing any inclination to give these things up. And we can now add The Artist to the list of JW celebs.

I noted the SI comments on Hairston's playing demeanor merely to show that, since being a JW is supposed to make us 'better fathers, mothers, and children' maybe it ought to make Hairston a more respectful ball player, LOL.

I think that this whole sports/celeb thing may be headed in the same direction as the education situation. I think the Society will one day write an article about organized sports partcipation and change their tune just a bit, in order to appear more mainstream. Then again, maybe not.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello DB,

thanks for the post.

Here in Europe to be a professional in sports,...
    it not for JW! (Strongly discouraged ...)
    Again 2 different ways.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• Farkel
    Farkel

With that prima donna attitude, all those temper tantrums and his flippant and arrogant way of dealing with the fact that he is basically being a jerkweed, he should make elder in two years. He could do it even sooner if he donates a lot of money to his God, the Watchtower Printing Corporation.

Farkel, who wonders how many millions Michael Jackson gave to the Watchtower Corp. before they shafted him, and whether he could deduct from his taxes his "fat man" outfits and phoney facial hair so he could sell Watchtower shit and not risk getting recognized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit