Any British TV watchers out there?

by wednesday 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• wednesday
    wednesday

i used to be a big fan of British TV here in the states. It has been a while since i saw any though. Where, besides, PBS, can i see some of the great programs i used to watch? I'm in texas around dallas, so if anyone knows what channel they might be on, please respond. I remember one called, i think "butterflies are free" or something. the woman was going through "change" had teenagers, i think the hubby was a dentist-but i could be off. I'd just like to see reruns or any of it again. Maybe i could purchase it on DVD at amazon?

Also, i recenlty saw a great documentary called "the house", set in England.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Wednesday,

There is a specific BBC America channel available in many areas on digital cable. Otherwise, PBS still shows some drama and comedy. A&E also shows some drama and occasional BBC comedy. I watched a BBC production of Charles II a few months back and the series MI5 (Spooks, I think in the UK) on A&E. TLC and the Discovery channel show some programs co-produced with the BBC or the UK's channel 4. Junkyard Wars and Trading Spaces were originally UK programs but the ones you see here are produced in the US. Look-out for some cross-overs.

I hear that UK's Graham Norton has a show on Comedy Central, I haven't seen his show yet and if I don't hurry up it may be axed before I do.

3rd

• wednesday
    wednesday

while i was researching this, i discovered that allistar Cooke(pls ex sp) died in march this year. America's pet Brit, how many times i watched masterpiece therater, i can't count.

thanks so much for the info. i am a big fan of Trading spaces, had no idea the idea origanted in UK. I will look for a BBC channel, and yes i do watch all those channels. Amazon.com has the whole series of "UP Stairs, Down Stairs" on DVD, and well i'm going ot check out the used book stores for more possibilites.

• glitter
    glitter

Wednesday - did you ever watch Eastenders? I heard it's coming back but only on PPV

An excellent recent British Sitcom is "Spaced" - might have been on Comedy Central before so might do again (maybe... )

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Wed,

I was saddened to learn of Alistair Cooke's death earlier this year. Having grown up on the other side of the "pond" I knew him for many years through his "letters." Amazon is a great resource as is us.imdb.com (Internet Movie Database) which is great for searching for old films and TV programs. The links are to Amazon but don't forget to search the Canadian version www.amazon.ca for titles that are rare and sometimes cheaper.

3rd

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    I remember one called, i think "butterflies are free" or something. the woman was going through "change" had teenagers, i think the hubby was a dentist-but i could be off. I'd just like to see reruns or any of it again

I remamber that show, the theme song was "love is like a butterfly" if that helps.

I love all the brittish shows, my dad's a pom.

Eastenders, the brittas, red dwarf (my mum just bought one of the series on DVD), the bill, Dr. Who, the two ronnies, love them all. Spent a lot of my childhood watching the ABC.

My favouries was The Goodies though.

Theres heaps more but i just can't remember them all.

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes that was the theme song. I am so glad someone validated my memory, i was beginning to think i just made it up. I have not seen the show u aksed about Eastenders. I plan on getting a supply of DVD's bc i have an upcoming surgery and will need something to occupy my time.

• glitter
    glitter

The butterfly TV show is called "Butterflies" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081838/ one of the sons was Rodney in "Only Fools and Horses"

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Hi Wednesday

I would recommend that you get the following on DVD - The Office (series 1 and 2), Absolutely Fabulous (any series), and Blackadder (any series).

These should tickle your funny bone. All the best for your surgery and hope everything goes well.

FF

• findingme
    findingme

I love Fawlty Towers; PBS shows it every now and then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit