moses and the rock

by fairy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• fairy
    fairy

i was just thinking about when moses was leading people to the promised land.....and he hit the rock and said i give you water instead of giving the praise to jehovah, well, this is my opinion that if all moses did was say i give you water and didnt give praise to jehovah, then, what hope is there for a lot of the witnesses ......they do a lot worse than that...........

what do you think

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I think it's a fairy tell ... and also that the WTBS is Bullshit ... so I guess we agree somehow

• Carmel
    Carmel

The story is metaphorical and should not be taken literally. It has nothing to do with praising jah which is an idea introduced by the witlesses. Babyface has it pegged.

carm

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yeah, I hate it when I stumble against a big rock and water starts gushing out of it.

(I've ruined a really nice Dry-Clean-Only suit like that once )

• rocketman
    rocketman

Assuming for a moment that it isn't a fairy-tale, the account has always troubled me. It seems that Jehovah dealt with Moses very severely, not permitting him to enter the promised land because of it.

Up until then, Moses had taken on enormous responsibilty and was under much stress from a "stiff-necked people". So, he loses his cool in this instance, and after everything good he did up until then, he's barred from entrance to the Land.

I guess the account is one reason why so many people feel that the God of the Old Testament is not the God portrayed in the New Testament.

• Celtic
    Celtic

aye

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    It seems that Jehovah dealt with Moses very severely, not permitting him to enter the promised land because of it.

awww, c'mon, thats a bit harsh. moses could have been killed.

• Mary
    Mary
    Assuming for a moment that it isn't a fairy-tale, the account has always troubled me. It seems that Jehovah dealt with Moses very severely, not permitting him to enter the promised land because of it.

Up until then, Moses had taken on enormous responsibilty and was under much stress from a "stiff-necked people". So, he loses his cool in this instance, and after everything good he did up until then, he's barred from entrance to the Land.

I agree Rocketman.......this always bothered me. The punishment was way beyond what the offense was. The only thing I can think of is that there was probably alot more going on there than what the bible is telling us...........

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

And, what hope is there for a god who would whack someone for a little faux pax like failing to praise him Bow Down Before You when making water come from a rock? Well, he didn't exactly whack Moses ... just kept him from the promised land. Damn Damn

• shotgun
    shotgun

That was one hell of a hickory stick Moses had!

Turned into a snake, parted the Red Sea or the Reed Sea depending on how literal you take it(mostly cattails), touched the Nile with it and turned it to blood, tuff enough to bash rocks and find water and on Sundays he used it for stick ball with the Levites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit