A question on Matt. 18 and Judicial Committees

by SadElder 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SadElder
    SadElder

In times past when serving as an elder I was always irritated that other elders would want to jump to judicial actions before the "offended one" had carried out the below cited steps. Oh I know the WT CIA (AKA Service Dept) says this is for minor sins, but I don't read that in these verses of Matt 18:

"Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go lay bare his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.

So does this apply just to petty grievances or does it apply to all types of "sin"?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Well, it doesn't say, "...if your brother commits a petty grievance...", it says, "...a sin...", so anyone making up their own Pharisitical rites for admonition of these sins defines themselves as very naughty boys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit