July 4th , the great JW holiday?

by ezekiel3 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

All my life as a JW in the US, my parents shuttled us off to the fireworks, to sit among the worldlings and the waving flags to enjoy the show. This was an almost universal practice with elders and pioneers as well. As a child, I always noted that what we (JWs) were doing was no different than how anyone else celebrated the 4th. Now as an adult, I've been invited to a BBQ and then the fireworks by a group including two pioneers and a servant.

Anyone else recognize this double standard?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

This was quite different than what I remember, Most of the JW's I knew were so anti-firecracker that they wouldnt even let their children buy any. I remember going to visit my great-grandma in Kentucky and buying fireworks down there, and it felt so cool and rebellious. Most Jw's I remember wouldnt get within a mile of any patriotic event.

Dave

• heathen
    heathen

I guess they consider as long as they aren't saluting the flag they are within the rules . I don't see how watching some fire works is considered a celebration anyway . I did notice when I was a study that they like to do things on the same day worldly people do them but in a different way . I remember new years eve being invited to a dub bbq . I guess I'd lose out on life eternal if I watched new years rockin eve with Dick Clark . Any way someone ratted me out for going to a club and drinking some champeign . It's like they even have a secret police following potential members around .To this day I don't know who the rat was . What a bunch of friggen hypocrites .

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

We watched fireworks while growing up, my dad even bought some and set them off....but then, some people in the congregation started expressing that we shouldn't be doing that anymore....so everyone kind of stopped...but my dad still bought his own fireworks (they were small ones of course). I also remember on Thanksgiving we'd have a huge dinner, but not turkey...my dad made great duck. Also, my daughter is going to her dad's this weekend, and they are all having a big BBQ on the 4th (he and all his witness family and friends)...yeah...it's so hypocritical.

• finallyspringlol
    finallyspringlol

wow....i did not think going to celebrations was good at all. and as for xmas day, and thanksgiving...we were cautioned not to cook the turkey on that day as it would stumble our neighbours....also just remembered something funny....i remember a sister going to canada day fireworks, and when everyone sang 'oh canada', she sang a kingdom song...i think it was 'we are jehovahs witnesses...etc'...i could not believe she had the nerve to do that...or the nerve to tell us about it.....lol

• glitter
    glitter

*Wow* I'd have thought Independence Day would've been verboten - it's a nationalistic holiday no two ways about it! We weren't allowed to celebrate Guy Fawke's Night as it's a nationalistic holiday.

I find it fascinating how some conregations had such different rules.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit