R/C Plane Update...

by FMZ 8 Replies latest jw friends

• FMZ
    FMZ

Well, I took her out yesterday. After many tweaks / repairs etc. she made her maiden flight from the ground!

After adjusting the tail stabilizers, the aileron linkages, and removing the tail wheel, I decided to take it out and see what came of it. We primed her engine, hooked the propeller to the spring starter, leaned the mixture a little, and she was purring.

Tyler was holding on to it to make sure it didnt fly off, I stood back, upped the throttle, and told him to let go. It went across the parking lot beautifully, then after about a 20 foot takeoff run, she went airborne!!! 6 feet into the air she soared... lol

Unfortunately the joy was short-lived, as approximately 3 seconds into the flight, the prop somehow got caught up with the spring starter (not my fault!), and the jolt of the engine suddenly stopping threw the plane into a hard right bank, 1 second later, the right wingtip hit the ground and it was obvious from the state of the spring starter and prop that the flying day was over. I still went home with a smile on my face though... something I had built from scratch actually made it off the ground!!! Beautiful!

FMZ

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There ya go!

Patch her up and try again!

• Undecided
    Undecided

If it has a spring starter it must be one of those small .049 engines. I've been flying R/C planes for 35 years. I have two right now, one has a 4 stroke engine and is a scale model of the J3 Piper. The other one is a stunt plane with a .60 2 stroke. They can be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy your planes.

Ken P.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

FMZ

Wilbur and Orville had to have a starting point too! Who knows where you may go with this aviation thing. Hey.....just kidding.........RC flying is fascinating.......and being an aviation nut (private pilot).....the man who RULES is Rutan......he is a modern day Einstein of aviation. You Are The Man Yep.........Rutan.....you are the man.

HappyDad

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Yay, it flew, even if it was only for a little while.

Can't wait until my son has the patience for that sort of thing.

I used to work with a woman who ran a mail order buisness with her husband for that kind of stuff. They were members of the local club, used to go off to flying competitions all the time. From what I hear it's pretty adictive.

Keep us posted.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Elsewhere.. yup, I'm heading to the hobby store to get what I need today

Undecided: The plans for this one (Piper Cub) called for a .49 - .70 engine, so I went with a middle of the line .60 2-stroke also. I think when I hit the hobby store I will pick up another kit or something. Any easily built recommendations?

HappyDad: The reason I am getting into R/C is because of my love for aviation too. Unfortunately I do not have enough money for lessons right now so I am going to try to experience the joys of flying through my R/C plane for now (purchasing a 2-mile range video tx+rx kit). I do have the Jeppesen private pilots manual, and own the latest and greatest Microsoft Flight Sim 2004, with a flight yoke and rudder pedal set. Some day.... some day.......

Lehaa: You could take it up for yourself, it's great fun for anyone!

FMZ

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    You could take it up for yourself, it's great fun for anyone!

Yea I know but it would be mich more fun with my son.

• Special K
    Special K

Hi FMZ

You know, you can't fly these things in a "hole".. lol Remember the hole you wanna dig.. not much room in there except the dinky car size.

My husbands,Uncle used to build lots of model planes, etc. Master model assembler..

I don't know if you remember the movie "Towering Inferno".. His Uncle assembled the model helicopters that flew in around the buildings etc. in that movie. Wasn't so much computer graphics back then. He was a model R/C plane and R/C helicopter addict and an avid R/C flyer.

Special K

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    You know, you can't fly these things in a "hole".. lol Remember the hole you wanna dig.. not much room in there except the dinky car size.

LMAO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit