do you remember when?

by candidlynuts 5 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

do you remember when assemblies were more interesting? as a kid i remember live music (my dad always played at circuit assemblies) you got to hear them tune up and the musicians enjoyed so much giving their talent for those days. speakers were chosen because they could give good talks and were respected brothers even if they had funny voices, not chosen just because they have a loud deep voice and can read from a script. do you remember when the baptismal candidates werent inspected in the changing room to make sure they didnt have logos on their swimwear? (i had to turn my tshirt inside out because it had a palm tree on it in 1992 the naziwomen in the changing room almost made me back out , if i hadnt been so scared of my ex i would have) do you remember when you could check your appearance in the bathroom mirrors instead of being faced with taped on brown paper. theres some quiet times when i recall the happy times and remember the good and then get even sadder when i realize those days are gone replaced with assemblies so organized and scripted its like visiting a machine. used to be a GREAT CROWD at assemblies 10,000 - 15,000 where i went , now they are cut down to less than 5,000 people. switched from louisville ky to evansville in a much smaller venue.

and remember when the assemblies were full of HOPE and not condemnation of what your doing wrong?

what happened to my religion?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    theres some quiet times when i recall the happy times and remember the good and then get even sadder when i realize those days are gone replaced with assemblies so organized and scripted its like visiting a machine. used to be a GREAT CROWD at assemblies 10,000 - 15,000 where i went , now they are cut down to less than 5,000 people. switched from louisville ky to evansville in a much smaller venue.

and remember when the assemblies were full of HOPE and not condemnation of what your doing wrong?

what happened to my religion?

I'm thinking of a song......what song? Oh yeah Losing My Religion

I'm still full of shit hope and not condemnation. You have to give up the whole concept of the bible and gawd and life ever after.........we all want the magical pill (I'll take the blue pill), the fairy tale ending to our lives, but it just ain't gunna happen. So what do we do now? We deal with what is, we live life one day at a time and plan for our old age, period. Makes life simple! We love hard, long and forever those who deserve our love, family is everything!

What if this is as good as it gets?

Kate

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    and remember when the assemblies were full of HOPE and not condemnation of what your doing wrong

Ah No. I never remember the assemblies teaching ANYTHING but death and dying--so never do anything wrong. This was always the message. Every new book released dealt with one sin or another. 1975!! Hello? Sell your shit then you will live in paradise, only that is if YOU do the right thing... blah blah blah

Cassi

• Farkel
    Farkel

: used to be a GREAT CROWD at assemblies 10,000 - 15,000 where i went ,

I remember assemblies that routinely had over 50,000 people and the one in NYC in 1958 had something like 234,000 people if I recall correctly. My parents were there. They released 7 books in 7 days. Unfortunately, those books are all out of print now. Old crap, which has since been replaced by new crap.

Farkel

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Farkel:

Old crap, which has since been replaced by new crap.

Like I said, you do have a way with words!

Oh how I miss those huge 8 day assemblies...........................NOT!

Kate

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    you got to hear them tune up and the musicians enjoyed so much giving their talent for those days.

Used to love that when I was a kid. Most of my friends used to play, we thought it was great. But i suppose nothing about asseblies can be fun.

do you remember when the baptismal candidates werent inspected in the changing room to make sure they didnt have logos on their swimwear? (i had to turn my tshirt inside out because it had a palm tree on it in 1992 the naziwomen in the changing room almost made me back out .

Never happend here in Melbourne, Australia. I got baptised in 1991 and as long as what you were wearing was modest, logos were never an issue.

do you remember when you could check your appearance in the bathroom mirrors instead of being faced with taped on brown paper.

Goodness me, never has happened here. I bring my makeup to the assembly and put it on when I get there.

It amazes me that how from country to country things can be sooo different. So much for the unity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit