Update: My Mother's Thyroid Cancer

by DevonMcBride 6 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Next week, July 2, my mother goes in for surgery to have her whole thyroid removed. The doctor was very encouraging for a full recovery. My mother though, is a nervous wreck. On Tuesday, she went for pre-operative tests which included an EKG, chest x-ray, blood test, etc. She was very paranoid and afraid they might find something else wrong with her in these tests. Out of paranoia, she has herself convinced they will find lung cancer in the chest x-ray. I guess this is a normal fear for someone diagnosed with cancer.

On top of that, yesterday there was a message on her machine from the doctor's office. The woman said if she comes home before 5pm to call Dr. Ridge and then she paused, hemmed and hawed and said "Uh, never mind" and hung up. I told her that if they found something wrong, the woman would have left a phone number and not said "never mind" and hung up. My guess is that they called the wrong patient and then realized it halfway through the message.

This has been very hard on my whole family and we just want next weeks surgery to come and go so she will be on her way to recovery.

Devon

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Devon,

That is not good form for the Dr. Office to call and leave a message like that. Tell your mom I'd be a wreck too.

Godspeed to her and your family through this.

Confused

• kls
    kls

I can't blame your mom , i would be thinking they will probably find something else to . It was very wrong of that Dr. office, they should be told of their rudness. Hoping all goes well

• gladtobefree
    gladtobefree

Sending ((((("GOOD VIBES")))))) her way! Hope all goes well.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Our thoughts are with you during this time.

Best Regards,

Corvin

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Devon

My thoughts are with you and your family. Perhaps you could look into a good support group?

http://www.thyca.org/

Cassi

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Devon,

The Best to you and your family!

-BONEZZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit