Disastrous In-Flight Structural Integrity Failure

by FMZ 1 Replies latest social physical

• FMZ
    FMZ

Well, that's what happens when you get to hot-doggin' with a radio controlled plane not designed to withstand the forces of certain stunts...

I was out with the kids, flying my Aerobird RC plane (practicing for when I finish building my Piper Cub model) and had flown a good few laps of the field we were at, and wore down my first battery, so all I had left was the slightly more powerful one. We put it in, and I decided to impress the kids with how high the thing could go. I took it up to approximately 200 feet, and all was well, the kids were impressed. Then I got to wondering what use I could make of this height. Ahhh, a loop-de-loop! As the plane doesn't have a lot of throttle (enough to bring around a full loop), I throttled her to full, and pointed the plane downwards. It picked up a lot of speed, and started making this cool loud buzz as it was going so fast...

Then I lowered throttle and pulled back to start the loop.

Apparently I pulled back too hard. The stress on the cheapy wing was too much for it to handle, and it buckled about 125 feet up. It seemed like it was falling forever, as I watched the poor thing plummet 125 feet with it's wing doubled back on itself, spinning out of control to the hard ground below.

We ran over to the crash site, and found her laying there, battered and bruised. I actually think I'll be able to repair most of the damage, although I may need to buy a few replacement parts.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a story with you, and hopefully you will learn this lesson from me: know your (plane's) limits!

FMZ

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

LOL FMZ,

I bought my step son a 'buy n fly' aeroplane for christmas.... we were out in the field, less than 20 minutes old, when a gust wind dragged it into a fence! CRUNCH!!!! the shaft that holds the twin props snapped in two, and as it's in a sealed body, I have to use a heated knife to cut it open to get to it!!

Bugger!

Bull!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit