Milton Keynes Dons?????? What do you think about it?

by ozziepost 1 Replies latest social physical

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes and change their name. Up on the ESPN site is this story:

Wimbledon granted change of name
    Lawrie Sanchez insists Wimbledon will not spoil the memory of his FA Cup-winning goal for the club by changing their name to Milton Keynes Dons.

Music tycoon Pete Winkelman's InterMK consortium were granted permission for the name change by the Football League this week, following last season's controversial relocation to Buckinghamshire.

Winkelman will take the club out of administration when his takeover goes through in the next few days and he claims the new name was carefully chosen to retain a link with Wimbledon's illustrious past.

But Sanchez, whose headed winner against Liverpool at Wembley in 1988 clinched Wimbledon's greatest triumph, reckons the change represents a sad end to the club he once knew.

The Northern Ireland manager said: 'I'm sad at what's happened to the club. But it's a waste of time looking back and it would be silly to still keep calling them Wimbledon in Milton Keynes.

'It's 16 years since the cup final, and I still remember it well. But it's a different club now and it was inevitable they would change the name.

'It hasn't been done much in the modern game. But Arsenal were once Woolwich Arsenal, and it's probably the right thing for them to do.

'I will still look for their results but I've also been to see AFC Wimbledon a few times because that's where the Wimbledon fans are now.'

Wimbledon's relocation caused the club's traditional fans to desert and form their own side, non-league AFC, and they have urged fans from other clubs to boycott Milton Keynes Dons matches next season.

A spokesman for the Wimbledon Independent Supporters Association said: 'Milton Keynes Dons have now been confirmed as the first US-style franchised football club in the English game.

'Effectively, one town has taken the league place that belonged to another town.

'WISA reminds all football supporters that they can demonstrate their views on the dangers of franchising by boycotting the home games of the club more commonly known as `Franchise FC'.

'WISA calls for the Football League and the Football Association to tighten their rules to ensure that football franchising can never occur again, and calls on the FA and InterMK to restore the history and honours of Wimbledon FC to AFC Wimbledon.'

The Football League gave the green light for Winkelman to change the club's name after he won the legal right to complete his takeover.

Head of communications John Nagle said: 'The Football League has approved this change because it believes a club's name should, where possible, reflect the conurbation in which it plays its games.

'The use of the term `Dons' ensures a link with the club's heritage, as recommended by the FA-appointed commission which granted permission for the club's move in 2002.

'In reality there is very little support for the continued use by the club of the name Wimbledon.'

Manager Stuart Murdoch's side suffered a disastrous season after leaving Selhurst Park for the temporarily-converted National Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes.

Wimbledon finished bottom of Division One, having sold off all their best players to appease the administrators.

But Winkelman now hopes to start a new chapter in the club's history by building a permanent 28,000-seater stadium, and his consortium urged fans to get behind the change.

A statement from InterMK read: 'The club's name will officially change once the formalities regarding the share transfer have been completed and approved by the Football League.

'In order for the Football League to allow the club to relocate, it was required to accept the conurbation of Milton Keynes as its new home.

'The FA Commission also recommended that the club should always retain a link with its former identity.

'We feel that the name 'Milton Keynes Dons FC' will represent the past, present and future of this proud football club and place the club at the heart of its new community.

'We hope that the club's fans, both old and new, embrace this new name as we look forward to the club emerging from administration and kicking off an exciting new season in Coca-Cola Football League One.'

InterMK had planned to ballot fans on the name-change but claim delays with their buy-out made this impossible.

What do you poms think about it? Me - I can't get used to saying "Come on you Milton Keynes Dons!"

Cheers, Ozzie

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Milton Keynes tried to steal my team a few years back. Thankfully they failed.

To me football is about history. You cannot choose your team it just belongs to you by virtue of where you are born, for good or for bad.

So its a sad day in my book.

But hey, worse things happen in this world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit