what is JW stand on bone marrow transplants?

by Dawn 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

I've been out for so many years and don't know the current "light" on this subject. I tried searching the forum but didn't find recent links on this topic. Anyone out there know what the current "understanding" from the fine "slave" is ? (gag)

• shadow
    shadow

*** w84 5/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

ยท

Could a Christian accept a bone-marrow transplant, since blood is made in the marrow?

Doctors perform most bone-marrow transplants by withdrawing some marrow from a donor (often a near relative) and then injecting or transfusing it into the sick patient. They hope that the marrow graft will reach the patient?s marrow cavities and later function normally. Usually this procedure is considered only in critical cases (such as aplastic anemia or acute leukemia) for there are acknowledged hazards in preparing a person for a marrow graft and in treating him afterward.

As the question itself notes, red blood cells are formed in the marrow of certain bones such as the ribs, sternum and pelvic bones. Hence, it is understandable why, in the light of the Bible?s prohibition on blood, the question arises whether a Christian could accept a graft of human bone marrow.

The Bible states clearly that God?s servants must ?abstain from blood.? (Acts 15:28, 29; Deuteronomy 12:15, 16) But, since red cells originate in the red bone marrow, do the Scriptures class marrow with blood? No. In fact, animal marrow is spoken of like any other flesh that could be eaten. Isaiah 25:6 says that God will prepare for his people a banquet that includes "well-oiled dishes filled with marrow." Normal slaughtering and drainage procedures never drain all blood cells from the marrow. Yet once a carcass is drained, then any of the tissue may be eaten, including the marrow.

Of course, marrow used in human marrow transplants is from live donors, and the withdrawn marrow may have some blood with it. Hence, the Christian would have to resolve for himself whether?to him?the bone-marrow graft would amount to simple flesh or would be unbled tissue. Additionally, since a marrow graft is a form of transplant, the Scriptural aspects of human organ transplants should be considered. See "Questions From Readers" in our issue of March 15, 1980. Finally, writing in Harrison?s Principles of Internal Medicine (Update I, 1981, page 138), Dr. D. E. Thomas observes that "virtually all marrow transplant recipients will require platelet transfusions" and many are given "packed red blood cells." So the Christian should consider what additional issues he would have to face if he submitted to a marrow transplant.?Proverbs 22:3.

Though a personal decision has to be made on this matter, the Bible?s comments about blood and marrow should help the individual to decide.

• blondie
    blondie
    Bone marrow transplants:

In 1963, they considered that any fraction of blood was a nutrient and not to be used in medical treatment. 15 In 1978, they reversed this decision for certain blood fractions used for the treatment of hemophiliacs. 16 In 1984, they declared that accepting a bone marrow transplant was up to the individual conscience. 17

15. Article on blood fractions, Watch Tower, 1963-FEB-15.

16. Article on blood fractions for Hemophiliacs, Watch Tower, 1978-JUN-15.

17. Article on bone marrow transplants, Watch Tower, 1984-MAY-15.

http://www.ajwrb.org/physicians/muramoto-murky.html

• Dawn
    Dawn

Thanks for your replies - I'll look those articles up.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Incidently the "Dr. E. D. Thomas" quoted in the 1984 WT is my Dad. We had some pretty heavy discussions about medical issues when I first went in.

This is another area where WT doctrine is out of step with science. Most "bone marrow" transplants are now really stem cell transplants. And yes a lot of blood fractions will be involved.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli
    when I first went in.

Jeff, I do not understand: "when you first went in what/where? JWs?

Secondly, I suspect that it was/is very interesting to have a Dad who is an internist/oncologist. Correct? What does he think then and now about JWs and their stand on medical issues?

Thank you for your reply,

Sam

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sam, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant when I became a JW. Dad thinks they're ignorant nuts (and was must unhappy when I became one). On the other side of the coin, my parents we're always there for me, and were overjoyed when Debbie and I got out.

In 1990 Dad was awarded 1/2 of the Nobel Prize in medicine, the other half went to the surgeon that did the first kidney transplant.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Thomas was the first to perform a successful transplant of bone marrow, which he achieved by administering a drug that prevented rejection.

Congratulations, Jeff!

I have been rooting for Thomas E. Starzl to win a Nobel Prize for the work he has done in the transplantation area, but they are not likely to award another prize in so narrowly defined a discipline. Your dad was truly one of the early ones.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I will have to look up Starzl (or ask Dad, he probably knows him). When Dad and Joe Murray got the Nobel it was very not like what the committee usually did. Both of them were real Doctors that treated real people (as opposed to scientist playing in a lab somewhere). It had been a long time since that happened, and I don't think it's happened since.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Your dad will know Dr Starzl; they must be roughly the same age. Starzl is generally regarded as the father of liver transplantation. I believe that he began his transplantation career by doing kidney transplants and then soon became interested in what could be done for patients in hepatic failure. His first liver transplannts were done at the University of Colorado. In about 1980 he moved to the University of Pittsburgh where he remains to this day. The transplant institute there is named in his honor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit